IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Zooks!++
As long as people need a Mac for (at least essential parts of) iOS development, then Apple will keep selling Macs. Get really worried when Apple removes that requirement as the iPhone is their money press.

Being able to run the latest (or nearly the latest) macOS on 5+ year old hardware is a blessing and a curse. It's great when things are "fast enough" on old hardware, but when there are required processor functions that aren't available, etc., then it sucks to have to move to newer machines. And when you have to do that, it sucks to have to pay a premium for a 2+ year old design/CPU/RAM/storage interface.

It does seem that Apple is going to keep pushing the all-in-one iMac form factor. And it does make some sense - desktop PCs need a display, and by combining them with the processor/storage and using fairly high-quality screens, they can keep the price and their profit margins up. And make is more necessary for business customers to buy higher-end versions from the factory (we had to seal it all up on assembly because it was required by our elegant design!). And they can make faster, newer, UltaMegaBolt interfaces that let people attach fancy graphics cards, external storage, and all the rest, if they want to chase after such thing. And charge a fortune for them.

Apple went stupid with several designs in Jobs' day - The Cube is a notorious example. They do that. I expect them to keep making desktops for a long while, but not necessarily easily upgrade-able things like the Cheese Grater chassis. I don't expect an upgrade to the Mini (though I've got one and I think it's a great design) because they want to keep chasing the high end and there are too many cheap PCs that are that size.

You've got enough experience that a Hackintosh might be a worthwhile route for you when the time comes. Don't stay wedded too long to the old apps and OS - it's too easy to be left behind.

(One of my first job interviews after grad school was for a technical writer position. They wanted someone with Word Perfect 5.0 experience. I had 4.2. I got the job, but had to explain that they were basically the same.)

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott June 16, 2018, 11:38:24 PM EDT
New Ah…we got it the first time. But thanks.
New (I clicked the post button 1x, but it showed up 7 times. Weird.)
New Was that on a Windows machine? :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     MacOS “Mojave” - (rcareaga) - (11)
         Yes and no. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             issue with the imac footprint - (boxley)
         Zooks!++ - (Another Scott)
         Zooks!++ - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Ah…we got it the first time. But thanks. -NT - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 (I clicked the post button 1x, but it showed up 7 times. Weird.) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Was that on a Windows machine? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

With the mochas he was strong.
43 ms