IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Don't car BT head-units have their own mic?
Our Subaru and Toyota fleet does, so I suspect the other mfgs have similar setups. There are aftermarket replacements, but they are cabled.
New That could be why I'm not finding them
Problem is my phone ends up right in front of the A/C vent, and I get horrible wind noise if it's on.
--

Drew
New How do you have it paired?
From everything I've found, a BT phone pairing overrides speaker and microphone with no option to do just one. But if it is paired as a multimedia device, then only the speaker is overridden.

(Some cars have multiple head units of differing capabilities. e.g. Subaru uses two head units with shared storage. One is controlled via the steering wheel buttons, the other via the stereo system. Only the steering wheel HU has full phone capabilities for 2 phones. And although the stereo unit can do a phone pairing, it is not full featured and some of the commands do not work. That little trick is not documented and because of the shared storage, it took a while to figure out why things were not working right :-/)
New It's not with a head unit
I've got one of these. Pair with it to broadcast to the radio, so it's only the speaker.

There are units that do full phone pairing and have their own mic, but none of the ones I saw supported broadcasting anything except the phone, so I couldn't play music or podcasts through it.
--

Drew
New FM repeater??? WTF was 2018, the Stone Age?
My kid plays his music -- Michael Jackson, ABBA, heh -- on the stereo in our 2014 VW by pairing with the car. Like, Bluetooth directly to the car's infotainment system.

I dread to ask what a "head unit" is -- something that connects to the read head in the cassette player?
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New My car is a 2004
Still does everything I want except pair with the phone, so why would I replace it?
--

Drew
New Yup, sure, valid reason.
There are some different strategies for getting the most value out of a car. Buying new is of course right out the window; that depreciation in the first couple years is killer. The main contenders seem to be a) "buy at x years old, sell at y" and b) "buy at z years old, drive it into the ground". Where z is almost always equal to or larger than x, but usually not (at least, not much) larger than y.

And if you're happy with your purchase according to strategy a, you can switch to b. That's what I was considering doing with my previous car, the 2009 Exeo I bought in '11. But then the insurance company said it would be too expensive to repair the humongous scratch made by a bus that decided to change into my lane, never mind that I was there already, so they bought me out of it. Bought the Tiguan in summer 2016, again at two years old. Driving the tiny distances I do -- ~7-8,000 km in almost three years? -- depreciation by sheer model-year age will hit me much more than by wear-and-tear, so keeping it until it rusts away (which I don't know if it ever will) would seem to be the financially prudent alternative.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New My last three
I bought an '02 Chevy Cavalier new in early '03. Changed brakes and tires, but no other major work until April '16. By then the rust on the rear fenders was getting pretty bad, and it needed brakes again.

Picked up an '05 Ford Taurus with a salvage title. It had been in an accident and repaired. I went really cheap because I knew that ... November '16 I needed a car for the oldest daughter. Got her an '04 Dodge Neon that had been really well maintained.

Daughter went to college end of August last year and I sold the Ford, which still ran fine but the floorboards had rusted out.

I've been driving the Dodge, which is starting to show rust on the fenders.

tl;dr
I went from strategy a straight to a hard c.

This spring when we sell the house I'll be going strategy b for either a Honda Fit or a Ford Transit Connect.
--

Drew
New well you "could" replace the radio, cheaper than replacing the car
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I'm gonna need my own ride again when the kid comes home
--

Drew
New "Head unit"
generic term for the infotainment system in any car.

Basically it's the thing with the volume knob on it.
New "Head unit" ... "volume knob" ...
There's a blow job joke there, but I'm too classy to make it.
--

Drew
New No you're not.
You're just too lazy.
New No, I actually tried
But nothing came to me.
--

Drew
New Perhaps your expectations were premature...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Perhaps you had forgotten "the fastest four-handed game" of all®
[pron on] ..when it slips out [pron confiscated]
New Ah. Thought it might be one of those where you take off the front, but that would be "the face" then
     Essential PH-1 with 360 camera for $399 at Amazon today. - (Another Scott) - (35)
         You have to post some 360 video when you get that -NT - (drook) - (7)
             No video yet. Initial Essential Ph-1 mini-review. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 Stock Android has a whether widget that matches that description - (drook) - (3)
                     I find the list of "apps" easily, ... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Ah, here we go. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Also, too. - (Another Scott)
                 Chronus for your weather widget -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Thanks for the pointer. -NT - (Another Scott)
         You're in an exclusive club. - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Yup. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Nah, let it go pop - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Didn't realize (or didn't remember) this. - (Another Scott)
         Had to move on... - (Another Scott) - (22)
             Re: And it has the 3.5 mm jack! Woot! - (a6l6e6x)
             That 3.5mm jack. - (static) - (20)
                 I'm sure it will eventually be replaced. - (Another Scott) - (19)
                     So why can't I find a Bluetooth mic for my car? - (drook) - (18)
                         The Kenwood (IIRC) head that I got for Joan's Corolla has a wired mic. - (Another Scott)
                         Don't car BT head-units have their own mic? - (scoenye) - (16)
                             That could be why I'm not finding them - (drook) - (15)
                                 How do you have it paired? - (scoenye) - (14)
                                     It's not with a head unit - (drook) - (13)
                                         FM repeater??? WTF was 2018, the Stone Age? - (CRConrad) - (12)
                                             My car is a 2004 - (drook) - (4)
                                                 Yup, sure, valid reason. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                     My last three - (drook)
                                                 well you "could" replace the radio, cheaper than replacing the car -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     I'm gonna need my own ride again when the kid comes home -NT - (drook)
                                             "Head unit" - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                 "Head unit" ... "volume knob" ... - (drook) - (4)
                                                     No you're not. -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                         No, I actually tried - (drook) - (2)
                                                             Perhaps your expectations were premature... -NT - (malraux)
                                                             Perhaps you had forgotten "the fastest four-handed game" of all® - (Ashton)
                                                 Ah. Thought it might be one of those where you take off the front, but that would be "the face" then -NT - (CRConrad)

I could make a hat... or a brooch... or a pterodactyl!
90 ms