IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Need a laptop recommendation for supporting live audio production
My middle daughter has been running sound for all her high-school's productions for the past year. The teacher who oversees it is writing her a recommendation for an internship with a company that does sound for concerts.

Her current Chromebook is getting a bit long in the tooth, and she's asking for something nicer this Christmas. (Planting the seed early ... good planning.) She wants something that she'll be able to install and run software that's used for that type of work.

I've got no idea what people are using these days. Anyone current with this stuff?
--

Drew
New Maybe look around B&H?
Just to get an idea. They sell to the pros.

It might be a good starting place, then you know what you're giving up as you move down in price.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Computer-Audio/ci/12157/N/4294550101

The requirements for https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1386334-REG/ableton_88177_live_10_suite_educational.html don't seem too onerous (64-bit CPU, iOS 10.11.6+ or Winders 7, 8, 10, i5 or better, 4GB RAM, etc.). Educational discount, also too.

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, that confirms my suspicion
This is going to be expensive enough that I'll want the company she'll be interning with to tell me the specific package. No point in dropping a couple bills to spend a year learning the wrong system.
--

Drew
New It might matter what the company with the internship is using
We do video production as part of our company's business, and we're exclusively Apple here - audio production as well, which (with proper external hardware) is very similar to live audio production. But I know that people use software like Ableton on PCs for work like that too.

If she's using a DAW like Logic Pro or Ableton the laptop will need to be beefy so she doesn't get the dreaded system overload alerts, unless she bounces individual tracks inline, but even then you want enough cores and memory to do all of the effects and mixing in realtime.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     Need a laptop recommendation for supporting live audio production - (drook) - (3)
         Maybe look around B&H? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Well, that confirms my suspicion - (drook)
         It might matter what the company with the internship is using - (malraux)

So less could be more, more could be less, and nothing could be most of all — sometimes.
39 ms