IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hypothetical
Suppose Hillary had won. And suppose she had attempted to do some of the horrible things you're convinced she would have. Do you think Democrats in Congress would fall in lock-step behind her the way Republicans have for virtually everything Trump has done?
--

Drew
New Yes.
I saw it with her husband. I saw it with Obama. The political parties in this country are corrupt to their core. Both of them. You can say that the Democratic party consists of nicer Republicans than the Republican party if you wish. But I'd remind you that it was the Democratic Party who brought you NAFTA, the "End of Welfare as we know it", bank deregulation, the 90's Crime Bill, no consequences for war criminals, the end of Glass-Steagall, no consequences for Wall Street, children in cages at the border, more assassinations by Executive Order than even Dubya accomplished, all but one of them in the Senate voted for the USA Patriot Act, and on and on.

Do you think the Democrats wouldn't line up by Hillary just because their shirts are an arguably lighter shade of brown than the Republicans?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New No
Of the specific bills you mention:

Nafta:
Republican: 132 Yea, 43 Nay; Democrat: 102 Yea, 156 Nay

90s crime bill:
Republican: 46 Yea, 131 Nay; Democrat: 188 Yea, 64 Nay

Repeal of Glass-Steagall:
Republican: 207 Yea, 5 Nay; Democrat: 155 Yea, 51 Nay

One of them more Democrats opposed than supported. The other two were opposed by roughly 1 in 4, and one of those was overwhelmingly a Republican effort.

Hate the Clintons all you want. My question was whether lawmakers would line up behind everything Hillary might say. Your evidence fails that test.
--

Drew
New Thank you.
New Who signed all those?
Don't take it from me, take it from Thomas Frank. HTH.
bcnu,
Mikem

New My question was whether the rank-and-file would follow her
You're not helping your argument.
--

Drew
New By your own accounting, 67% of the time they did.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Of the 5 most recent votes - not counting amendments ...
Republican votes were (with party/against party/not voting):

212 / 16 / 6
225 / 2 / 7
210 / 19 / 5
225 / 3 / 6
55 / 0 / 1
Total: 927 / 40 / 25

Of 992 possible votes, 927 were cast with the party - 93.4%. If you assume the "not voting" were cases where they couldn't bring themselves to vote for it but didn't want to be on the record for breaking with the party, and give a half-vote for each of those it rises to 94.7%.

So Republicans have lined up behind Trump at easily more than a 90% rate, after the majority of them opposed him very strongly during the primary. The Democratic party is still badly fractured after the primary, yet you insist they would have fallen in line behind Hillary, and your evidence is that they followed Bill - one of the most popular presidents in modern history - two thirds of the time.

Do you think 67% > 93%, or do you think Democrats would have suddenly discovered party discipline had Hillary won?
--

Drew
New 67% is your number.
bcnu,
Mikem

New And I'm asking if you define that number as "following in lockstep"
--

Drew
New wouldnt the dnc and the heads of the party enforce that? They did a good job during the election
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     Russia finally getting their pay off for "helping" Trump in 2016? - (mmoffitt) - (12)
         Hypothetical - (drook) - (10)
             Yes. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                 No - (drook) - (7)
                     Thank you. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Who signed all those? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                         My question was whether the rank-and-file would follow her - (drook) - (4)
                             By your own accounting, 67% of the time they did. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                 Of the 5 most recent votes - not counting amendments ... - (drook) - (2)
                                     67% is your number. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         And I'm asking if you define that number as "following in lockstep" -NT - (drook)
             wouldnt the dnc and the heads of the party enforce that? They did a good job during the election -NT - (boxley)
         Like I said, it's Putin's pussy Trump! - (a6l6e6x)

Stop looking over your shoulder and invent something!
88 ms