IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Strange noises" ... so now we *know* that civilization as-we-knew-it
is Over. NYT.

A Medical Mystery Grows as U.S. Consulate Workers in China Fall Ill

GUANGZHOU, China — A crisis over a mysterious ailment sickening American diplomats and their families — which began in Cuba and recently appeared in China — widened on Wednesday. The State Department evacuated at least two more Americans who fell ill in China after hearing strange noises, officials said.

Many other employees at the American Consulate in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou and their family members are also being tested by a State Department medical team that has been flown in, officials said. It is unclear how many of them are exhibiting symptoms, but officials expect more American personnel to be evacuated.

For months, American officials have been worried that their diplomats have been subjected to targeted attacks involving odd sounds, leading to symptoms similar to those “following concussion or minor traumatic brain injury,” the State Department says.

The new illnesses in China come just weeks after American officials reported finding their first case in Guangzhou, where a consulate employee got sick after reporting disturbing noises.

Heh.. recall, anyone? way-back the various Pop-Sci mags (like P- Mechanics, Sci) featured tales of lethal-sound weapons?
But they were talking the physics-angle of ?watts/cm-sq. would do you in--or make you wish the 'in' would come.
So now it appears: you can modulate such gadgetry in sub-tul New Ways (my guess, anyway.)

..and what more deserving guinea pigs than: the modrin-bat-shit-'Muricanzz? Rest case.
New Kate Bush 1986.
Experiment IV (4:43). Lyrics.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were some sort of environmental issue (weird construction materials?) or has some biological cause (virus? mold?) rather than some sort of "aural warfare". Why would they do such a thing, really?

1/r^2 and all that...

Wikipedia's "Sonic Weapon" entry says:

The employee complained of symptoms from late 2017 through April 2018 [12], then returned to the US and was examined by a doctor who said the person had suffered a mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI). The US diplomat likened it to the incident which they say happened in Cuba.[13]

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New If it is aural ...
Quick! Somebody write a phone app that makes that noise every time a user launches their facebook app!
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New The callow opportunist-of-mass-bathos (CIEIO du Facile Book) replies: "/Me Hates You!!"
..it's a fucking-Good Idea, innit?
     "Strange noises" ... so now we *know* that civilization as-we-knew-it - (Ashton) - (3)
         Kate Bush 1986. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             If it is aural ... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 The callow opportunist-of-mass-bathos (CIEIO du Facile Book) replies: "/Me Hates You!!" - (Ashton)

Rather in the way of gilding the lily, and not to be encouraged.
77 ms