IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New First couple of pages give you the gist. RBG's dissent is worth reading in full.
They ruled in favor of the baker (meaning he didn't have to make the wedding cakes) because, their rulings indicate that the ruling bodies didn't respect the baker's religion.

That consideration was compromised, however, by the Commission’s treatment of Phillips’ case, which showed elements of a clear and impermissible hostility toward the sincere religious beliefs motivating his objection [to baking the wedding cake].

As the record shows, some of the commissioners at the Commission’s formal, public hearings endorsed the view that religious beliefs cannot legitimately be carried into the public sphere or commercial domain, disparaged Phillips’ faith as despicable and characterized it as merely rhetorical, and compared his invocation of his sincerely held religious beliefs to defenses of slavery and the Holocaust. No commissioners objected to the comments.

They must have said something really bad, right? Er, not so much.

The commissioner stated:

“I would also like to reiterate what we said in the hearing or the last meeting. Freedom of religion and religion has been used to justify all kinds of discrimination throughout history, whether it be slavery, whether it be the holocaust, whether it be—I mean, we—we can list hundreds of situations where freedom of religion has been used to justify discrimination. And to me it is one of the most despicable pieces of rhetoric that people can use to—to use their religion to hurt others.”
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Two things
First, mis-attributing "despicable" to his faith, rather than to the political ideal of "freedom of religion" is transparently mendacious.

Second, if your faith requires you to mistreat gays, then it deserves to be compared to slavery and the Holocaust.
--

Drew
     If you liked Jim Crow, you'll love this. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
         I'm not reading 59 pages, can you point to the highlights? -NT - (drook) - (2)
             First couple of pages give you the gist. RBG's dissent is worth reading in full. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Two things - (drook)

I'm made of 100% baryonic matter.
55 ms