IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Facebook Gave Device Makers Deep Access to Data on Users and Friends
NYT.

As Facebook sought to become the world’s dominant social media service, it struck agreements allowing phone and other device makers access to vast amounts of its users’ personal information.

Facebook has reached data-sharing partnerships with at least 60 device makers — including Apple, Amazon, BlackBerry, Microsoft and Samsung — over the last decade, starting before Facebook apps were widely available on smartphones, company officials said. The deals allowed Facebook to expand its reach and let device makers offer customers popular features of the social network, such as messaging, “like” buttons and address books.

But the partnerships, whose scope has not previously been reported, raise concerns about the company’s privacy protections and compliance with a 2011 consent decree with the Federal Trade Commission. Facebook allowed the device companies access to the data of users’ friends without their explicit consent, even after declaring that it would no longer share such information with outsiders. Some device makers could retrieve personal information even from users’ friends who believed they had barred any sharing, The New York Times found.

Most of the partnerships remain in effect, though Facebook began winding them down in April. The company came under intensifying scrutiny by lawmakers and regulators after news reports in March that a political consulting firm, Cambridge Analytica, misused the private information of tens of millions of Facebook users.

In the furor that followed, Facebook’s leaders said that the kind of access exploited by Cambridge in 2014 was cut off by the next year, when Facebook prohibited developers from collecting information from users’ friends. But the company officials did not disclose that Facebook had exempted the makers of cellphones, tablets and other hardware from such restrictions.

“You might think that Facebook or the device manufacturer is trustworthy,” said Serge Egelman, a privacy researcher at the University of California, Berkeley, who studies the security of mobile apps. “But the problem is that as more and more data is collected on the device — and if it can be accessed by apps on the device — it creates serious privacy and security risks.”

[. . .]

“I am dumbfounded by the attitude that anybody in Facebook’s corporate office would think allowing third parties access to data would be a good idea,” said Henning Schulzrinne, a computer science professor at Columbia University who specializes in network security and mobile systems.

[. . .]

Emphasis added; might as well Bold the entire text..
and don't miss the cute graphics presentation of what ya can do with a Blackberry and a working finger or two.

(In a functioning government, I'd wot that Jail-time for Mr. $$CIEIO would immediately be on the agenda ... while further delving would match the still-unrevealed matters towards --> calculating the Sentence.)
But with everyone Jumping that Shark (named Cupidity) ..how many CIEIOs Can you take off the streets?

Yeah I know: most-likely figure is 0.
New Facebook Part Two: Facebook Gave Data Access to Chinese Firm Flagged by U.S. Intelligence
NYT.

F.W.I.W.
New I'm glad I never took interest in FB.
Why anyone thinks that Zuckerberg cares about anything other than money and power is beyond me. Look at how he started the company at Harvard for instance...

The shock and confusion on his face when Sen. Durbin asked him some very simple questions tells me that he's never really thought about these issues and what they mean to real people. He just didn't care.

Cheers,
Scott.
New But he's sorry. Really. How many times does he have to say it? </snark>
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Sorry.. maybe like the Robber Baron on the SS Titanic?
..whose binoculars--had he lent them to the Lookout/crow's nest, etc. Etc.
Well you know; yup he's 'sorry' as in 'sorry-assed' ...

So we gets to see what such a (really numbskull) shall Do with $infinite ... gold-plated out-houses?
747 with Two King-sized beds? to beat out that other Big-River guy with even more juvenile shit?
     Facebook Gave Device Makers Deep Access to Data on Users and Friends - (Ashton) - (4)
         Facebook Part Two: Facebook Gave Data Access to Chinese Firm Flagged by U.S. Intelligence - (Ashton) - (3)
             I'm glad I never took interest in FB. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 But he's sorry. Really. How many times does he have to say it? </snark> -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Sorry.. maybe like the Robber Baron on the SS Titanic? - (Ashton)

Your configuration just allows perl programs to error out faster.
140 ms