IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "BBC Witness" ... kewl (Alex: this on Asimov!]
Here. It's audio.

Heard last night/npr: interesting Asimov info re. the effect of Foundation ..myriad ways; author's voice. Pity he died in '92.

His mentor was John Campbell.. synchronicity por moi:
"John Scott Campbell" was an instructor at the institute; wrote sci-fi as well (also created an opera--done well by students.)
Unexpectedly virtuoso-grade catchy tunes, Gilbert/Sullivanesqe such as,

We are the world's great physicists, chemists and spectroscopists
We brave the danger of the cloud chamber in our search for truth
We've cracked the wall of nuclear force (that job was a cinch, of course)
and the neutrino, that's our bambino ...
Oh what is there left to do?

..Etc.

We became friends; gave him the LBL tour once, firing up the 340 MeV Electron Synchrotron on a Saturday/ got beam almost immediately (quicker than.. *cough* when an E-Tech was tweaking the RF etc) ... and I was winging it. Fun-with-S c i e n c e and a Hoot. Pity that his material never made it to the level of J. C. sans the S. Oh well..
He owned a prof.-grade Ampex tape recorder, a rarity way-back ..I helped schlep that heavy box --> L.A.Phil for the debut of one Frederick Marvin, pianist (Chopin Cto. 2) and I have an LP of that (he also had a cutter!)

All we ever remember Life-size is: the Unexpectable event(s) I wot.
New Thank you, Ashton!
Interesting, also, to see him photographed in a "machine room" with tape drives in the background.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Also, thanks for the recent Hedy Lamarr pointer.
I got that recorded, watched it, and learned all kinds of stuff I had never known before.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x June 4, 2018, 11:22:51 PM EDT
New Boffo tale innit?
I find a few endorphins, just contemplating her brilliance/undervalued so typically in a kultur which nervously ƒeares.. the 'developed mind' (so as to dub Adlai Stevenson an egg-head ... etc.) ... all so implicit in your very Sig. :-)

Then too, the fact of her stellar beauty, not to mention absence of body inhibitions in That movie.. adding to the impulse to denigrate her character ... as the omnipresent Puritan ƒeares multiply the I.Q. totem. All the more reason to love the lady to same degree as: I've always despised the omnipresent shallowness of any old mob, (but esp. the sorts who like to pic-nic at a lynching.. ya can't get more fucking-'Murican that that.)

Hmmm.. I shall have to contemplate your evident solution re Real Estate (now within a daily more banana-ized sense of 'future prospects' than ever before) in the history of this young, hypocritical and increasingly odious experiment now in FAIL-mode.. pretty short MTBF eh? for all that braggadocio and the other swagger-modes.
[and all the Worst stereotypes crammed into a single Orange-one, Jeez]

Stay mobile!
New the 1973 BBC (radio) adaptation of the trilogy
Is available here, if you have the hours to spare. Note the vintage “electronic” sound effects.

cordially,
New It's hard to beat the opening accompaniment to TDTESS
The Day the Earth Stood Still ... Klaatu barada nicto y'all
Thereaminzz-zzz!!
It was boffo3 in those sleepy days as form the basis of so much subsequent lampoonery. Mr. Wise , Director accumulated many chops, but this one led to near-cult status.. unto modrin times. (Doubtless that you know this opus, of course.)

Saw that first-run, accompanied by Muy/chem, phys instructor at my lesser-Institute, etc.)

Thanks for tip, believe I never got through the entire saga, but did recognize its virtuosity; too many irons in fire for enough meditation, in those daze. Bad moi.
New “The entire saga”
I regard the original Foundation Trilogy as canonical (silly, but canonical—silly because the author was in his twenties, and also because, well, the whole “golden age” space opera genre was intrinsically silly; canonical because the story arc works better without all the retcon* cruft larded onto the tale in Asimov’s ill-advised series of sequels and prequels commencing three decades later), and actually returned to it a couple of years ago with some nostalgic pleasure. Harmless fun, and I could likely read the three volumes again today in fewer hours than the dramatization would consume. Regarding hours consumed, see the footnote.

cordially,

*Trigger warning: TVTropes link. Potential major timesink. Proceed with caution.
New I need a browser plugin
That automatically strips TVTropes links.
--

Drew
     "BBC Witness" ... kewl (Alex: this on Asimov!] - (Ashton) - (7)
         Thank you, Ashton! - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Also, thanks for the recent Hedy Lamarr pointer. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 Boffo tale innit? - (Ashton)
         the 1973 BBC (radio) adaptation of the trilogy - (rcareaga) - (3)
             It's hard to beat the opening accompaniment to TDTESS - (Ashton) - (2)
                 “The entire saga” - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     I need a browser plugin - (drook)

People don't pay that kind of money to walk around sober.
113 ms