1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Millenials
--

Drew
New A fair point.
But that does not excuse the sense of entitlement many of them carry around with them. Be it the idea that they should be paid $100,000 per year for a management position as their first job after having acquired a "technical degree" from ITT, UoP online, Grand Canyon, or some other diploma mill or that they should be able to purchase as their first home one like they grew up in. You know, the house their parents bought as their third or fourth house.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Did people buy third and fourth houses?
My parents lived in apartment when they got married and bought a house when they were pregnant with their second child, me. Most of the people in our neighborhood had similar stories, and all through primary school very few classmates moved in or moved out.

Short version, in my experience moving while kids are in school is the exception rather than the norm. People don't generally move to a bigger house after the kids move out, so I suspect for most people the house they're in when the kids start school is the one they keep.
--

Drew
New Everyone's experience is different, I guess.
Of the 4,000 kids I went to high school with (and the dozens of other kids I met through my folks) it was the very rare exception that the kids weren't in at least their second home - often the third home of their parents.

The phrase "starter home" didn't come out of thin air. Before they finished elementary school, my kids had lived in two homes - the second and third homes my wife I owned. The same is true of everyone I went to undergrad school with whom I've stayed in touch. Before I finished elementary school, I'd lived in three homes (not counting the married dorms at IU) in three different states. We weren't money. My dad taught high school and my mom worked part time as a nurse. We lived in very middle class neighborhoods where most of the folks living there were also in their second homes. FWIW.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Back in the day, we moved around. A lot.
From 1955, which is as far back as I can retrieve coherent memories, to 1970, when I left parental oversight, I count eleven addresses, all but two of these within an area of the San Fernando Valley today bounded by the “Ronald Reagan Freeway” (118) on the north, the San Diego Freeway (405) on the east, the Ventura Freeway (101) on the south and Topanga Canyon Boulevard on the west, an area about the size of San Francisco, only flatter, less photogenic, and conspicuously shorter on the cultural amenities. These various moves took us only a few miles from neighborhood to neighborhood, but it always meant a new school, and as for the chums I left behind, well, particularly in earlier childhood they might as well have been living on the far side of the moon. By the time I was twenty-five, the longest I’d ever lived at a given address had been two years.

I was fairly peripatetic in and around my undergraduate years, including a period spent being discreetly homeless early on, but since arriving in Oakland forty-one years ago I’ve had just four homes: the craftsman bungalow I rented in 1977, and to which I grew so attached that sheriff’s deputies were practically required to extract me when the place was sold out from under me in 1993; a charmless second-floor flat in the same yupscale neighborhood until 1998; another, larger second-floor flat after Lina and her dog joined the household (this move took me forever out of the coveted “Rockridge District”—up until that time I regarded everything past the end of College Avenue as “Baja Oakland”), and finally, that one being sold in turn, The Crumbling Manse™ beginning in 1999, the street number of which which will very possibly be entered in the appropriate field when one day the coroner’s office completes my paperwork.

cordially,
New Pretty.
We moved a lot, too. I don't know that I could even count the number of places we lived in... :-/

(I may have told this here before...) It was kinda creepy when I signed up for an online account with UPS and they made me pick out previous addresses from a bunch of others. Brought back some memories - good and bad!

Cheers,
Scott.
New dont know about that, grew up dirt poor
If I had a couple of million the only major chage would be an airconditioned shop to work on beaters that caught my fancy. Wife the same. If we go into a restaurant and a steak is more than $24 bucks, she will walk out.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     Millenials - (drook) - (6)
         A fair point. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
             Did people buy third and fourth houses? - (drook) - (3)
                 Everyone's experience is different, I guess. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Back in the day, we moved around. A lot. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         Pretty. - (Another Scott)
         dont know about that, grew up dirt poor - (boxley)

'ow do you know 'e's a king?
41 ms