1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No detail at all on how it works
--

Drew
New Smell scammy to me
A true paradigm shift requires the replacement of every gasoline or diesel fueled engine in every type of vehicle.

Um, no it doesn't.

They're keeping all the people involved with the company secret too. Makes it easier to "take the money and run" I guess.

To be clear: I don't know anything about this "engine" or the company. But I wouldn't spend any time or money on it, myself.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Here's what twigged the BS-o-meter
"ICEs lose 75% of the fuel energy as waste heat. The obvious solution is to not do that."

No shit, really?

Oh, and they assert that burning the fuel is more efficient than exploding it. First, I don't know that's true. Second, unless your ICE is badly out of tune it's not exploding anything.
--

Drew
New Thermodynamics IS abstruse, not easily grokked-to-Fullness™ by us amateurs;
that is: even in Physical-chemistry (chemistry is a mere sub-set of Physics, after all) and there: correct "reaction rates" vary greatly when you are seeking to maximize Efficiency. KISS: Some processes demand certain 'pauses' within a series of sub-reactions. And how to Do That is what separates the casual-Dreamers from those who will pursue that "infinite tribulations" path. (I speak from some early-on dabblings in a Thermodynamics vein which led to er, matrices which did not work as advertised ..and like that. FAIL.)

ie. "Intuitively Obvious" doesn't cut it here. methinks. Hedy Lamarr:
'They' stole her "frequency-hopping" Patented(!) *idea. She pursued this, as she was elderly/running out of money ($300/mo. from Screen Actors Guild!) ... but she had missed learning of the 6-year limit on bringing suit. Vulture-capitalism has killed-off-via-cupidity the just rewards of [the uncountable]. News at 11.
* www.rism.com is a Weird site (link was shown in PBS flic re H. Lamarr.) but delving there got to this also bizarre site with Lamarr bio books, etc.
But you'd have to be ackshully Interested in her many inventive sub-stories, to wander --> hence.. ;^>
[I have NO IDEA how it was that, this Genius-person managed to conceive of that massive Idea, 'frequency-hopping', entirely On Her Own.) But, assuredly: she did just That.]
Moi so Dumb where it comes to those unknown-Unknowns :-/
New Existing makers already know how to use the waste heat.
It's called turbo-charging.

Wade.
New And a slight internal inconsistency
From the link above:
the highest efficiency operating engine is the Stirling, also a heat engine. Due to its relatively constant speed and low power however, it is not suited for transportation

From http://zedengines.com/company-profile/
The ZED engine concept was first conceived in 1992 as the advancement of a NASA/DOE heat engine study (MTI Report #91TR15)

and the subject of MTI #91TR15?
The development and verification of automotive Stirling engine (ASE) component and system technology

So the thing is based on a design they themselves claim has already been written off as unsuitable for its stated purpose after extensive research.

(Me thinks "patent troll" will be the modus operandi as they also state explicitly they are not planning on actually producing anything.)
New "Patent troll" sounds about right!
No real innovation in sight.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New money is to be made from licensing the technology so partially correct.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Looks like they reinvented the steam engine
They claim two assigned patents, but I could only find one:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20100263379A1/

Burn* fuel external to the engine and use the resulting heat to vaporize a liquid. That vapor is then directed into the engine to produce mechanical work. Someone is channeling James Watt...

* using a "hydrogen flash vaporizer". Ask NASA for details.

Preferred fuel: liquid hydrogen. Preferred propellant: water/ammonia mix.

The hydrogen part is pretty much a no go for road use. LNG/LPG may be a fall back position but the energy density is only ~40%/30% that of hydrogen.

(And I can't see too many takers of conversion kits for 4T engines. You want ye olde steam train push/pull cylinder design for maximum efficiency.)

I'll stick with the troll assessment. This patent is vague (burn some fuel to vaporize some liquid to make some engine work.) Combined with the threat of run-on patents, it applies to anything attempting to use said hydrogen flash converter (an item which by itself dates back to 1978...)
New pretty much :-)
I would need to see a working model. May be a lot like the 3 wheel vehicle that was all the rage a few years ago and hasnt shipped one unit yet.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     zed engines - (boxley) - (10)
         No detail at all on how it works -NT - (drook) - (9)
             Smell scammy to me - (Another Scott) - (8)
                 Here's what twigged the BS-o-meter - (drook) - (7)
                     Thermodynamics IS abstruse, not easily grokked-to-Fullness™ by us amateurs; - (Ashton)
                     Existing makers already know how to use the waste heat. - (static)
                     And a slight internal inconsistency - (scoenye) - (4)
                         "Patent troll" sounds about right! - (a6l6e6x)
                         money is to be made from licensing the technology so partially correct. -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                             Looks like they reinvented the steam engine - (scoenye) - (1)
                                 pretty much :-) - (boxley)

Too hard to follow.
102 ms