1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks.
I pulled the trigger. From B&H.

- Watson NB-10L Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1000mAh) x 2

- SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory Card

- Lowepro Inverse 100 AW Beltpack (Black) (Holds the camera with the EVF installed)

- Canon Lens Hood & Filter Adapter Kit for PowerShot G3 X

- Canon PowerShot G3 X Digital Camera with EVF-DC1 Electronic Viewfinder (special bundle)

- Hoya 67mm HD3 Circular Polarizer Filter ($159.90 - ouch!)

$1301.06 all up. It should be here early next week. It may be the weekend afterward before I get to play with it. [ edit: The price includes a hockey-puck Chromecast v2, also too. Not the 4k one. No 4k TVs here yet. ]

I'm pretty happy with the choice, so far (even if, say, Canon announces a G3X Mark II next month), but have 30 days to make returns if I change my mind.

I looked around for the BlackRapid strap you mentioned, but couldn't find that particular model. I'll see how it goes.

So no more camera purchase questions from me for a while!! :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott May 5, 2018, 03:14:49 PM EDT
New Have fun!
New Enjoy it
Not sure what problem you think you're solving, but I totally get the new shiny thing :)

Remember these things for better pictures:

Shoot in manual mode
Use spot metering
Blue sky +2
Dark foreground -2
Sun behind you (you can't pull off arty into-the-sun shots on a compact, soz)
Level water
*** Composition is 90% ***
New I'll do my best.
Much of my thinking was affected by things like this, but I have to say that I didn't see actually it before pulling the trigger.

Note that she uses a polarizer. ;-) I'll have to see how fast the ungodly expensive one I bought really is. I have a monopod, but dunno if that would be stable enough if I need really long exposures with the polarizer...

We'll see how it does with Jpegs. I have shot some RAW stuff (and know the importance of it for PSing), but I haven't seen the benefit with it in my (extremely limited) workflow yet. Such as it is.

Thanks for the exposure cheat sheet. :-) I can't pick where the sun will be on these trips - J's itinerary isn't based on best natural illumination for wherever we're going. :-/ ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Monopods aren't any good for long exps
They're best used for tracking shots.

You see a lot of monopods at motor racing events, frample.

ETA: pro tog in "takes incredible pictures" shocker!
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 5, 2018, 04:36:29 PM EDT
New For what it's worth, Consumer Reports just "check rated" Canon PowerShot G3X.
Sony's Cyber-shot RX10 (II and III) and Canon's PowerShot G1 X Mark II as well as G7 X Mark II wee ranked higher. But then, their criteria may not match yours.

I just read this in the new CR issue yesterday.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Thanks.
Years ago my recollection is they had some camera ranking where an SLR was ranked much lower than some P&S. They seemed to weigh cost much more heavily than capabilities at the time. It was a mystery to me.

There are many cameras that are better than the G3X in many areas, but I think I'll be happy with it. We'll know pretty soon!

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
     I'm getting the new camera itchy bug again... - (Another Scott) - (33)
         Overkill! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Canon M5 with 15-150 lens? M6 with 15-150 lens? Peter? - (Another Scott) - (31)
             Zooks. This is turning into a nightmare... - (Another Scott) - (30)
                 have a semi pro photog at work - (boxley) - (2)
                     Yeah, but Pros get paid! :-) Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     That's only true for medium format - (pwhysall)
                 Given the D's are in play and Sony's in the picture too... - (scoenye) - (4)
                     Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Things in that class age well - (scoenye) - (1)
                             Yup. Good points. - (Another Scott)
                     Sony cameras are technical marvels - (pwhysall)
                 Can't do it tonight. We'll see if it makes sense in the future. - (Another Scott)
                 You only need two lenses for travel toggery. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     Thanks for all the info. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         A polariser will not fix your exposure issues - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             We've talked about some of this before. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Re: We've talked about some of this before. - (pwhysall)
                 Still can't do it. - (Another Scott) - (15)
                     Or $20-odd for the thing you actually need - (pwhysall) - (14)
                         I got a copy on your recommendation a few years ago. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                             The camera is not what limits you - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                 Thanks.. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     ALICE? - (Another Scott)
                                     You do know tha Ansel Adams used dodging and burning? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                         Knew dat, but tmi is upon us all :-) - (Ashton)
                                         He had to - (pwhysall)
                                 Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                     Have fun! -NT - (scoenye)
                                     Enjoy it - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         I'll do my best. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             Monopods aren't any good for long exps - (pwhysall)
                                     For what it's worth, Consumer Reports just "check rated" Canon PowerShot G3X. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                         Thanks. - (Another Scott)

IFKK
137 ms