IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thoughts on moving home, UK-stylee
1. What a fucking palaver. From start to finish, it's one load of bollocks after another. Searches. Surveys. And everything takes at least a week to turn around.

1a. What a fucking paper-based palaver. You want to know who still uses fax machines? Solicitors, that's who. And mortgage lenders.

2. What a fucking expensive palaver. Excluding the actual cost of the property, this will have cost me the thick end of four bags by the time we're across the threshold.

3. I'm going to live by the sea :D [happydance.gif]

4. All I can taste is parcel tape.

5. Where did all these books come from?

6. Fuck me, books are really heavy when you box them up.

7. What? More fucking books? You are shitting me, right?

8. I'd have been fucking moved three weeks ago if my buyer's surveyor had not failed to show up three times.

9. I wonder what meal can be had from two tins of water chestnuts, a tin of mushy peas, half a jar of pickled red cabbage, and some potatoes?

10. That mirror above the fireplace is really, really fucking big.

11. Friday night can't come soon enough. Saturday morning will involve sitting in the new garden, eating bacon sandwiches and deciding what to do first to our new house. Weather is irrelevant :)

12. My estate agent can fuck right off if they think that after spending £2K with them to sell my house, I'm driving into Middlesbrough to drop the keys off at their branch. They can come and get them.
New That sounds pretty close to US-stylee
--

Drew
New Bet it's quicker in the US
You know, with the old "do stuff first, litigate later" approach.

This bullshit has been dragging on since we accepted the offer on our house in the first week of January.
New That's a little slow, however ...
When it's slow in the US, it's usually because of a complex title search. I saw title documents that were 14 pages, hand written in the 1800s, and the property boundaries were described in terms of stone walls and oak trees. Now someone is trying to subdivide the family farm and no one can prove who owns what.

I suspect in the UK there's a much better chance you're buying something with a long history.
--

Drew
New Re: That's a little slow, however ...
House we're selling: built 1910
House we're buying: built 1935
New Not that, then
--

Drew
New We've lived in our first house since 1996 so no clue
I've never gone through the 'sell one place, buy another' dance.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re 9: An Irish Wedding feast?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New On books
When I left the wife, started a new life I had a separate bedroom that I lined with Ikea bookshelves. It was my library. Every sci-fi, computer manual, and educational book I ever had filled it. I spent time doing library systems, and had free reign of the master county library pre-discard room. It was BIG. I collected. Match made in heaven. I spent a lot of time in Borders, bought at least 4 books a week for 8 years. You get the picture.

Then I packed them up into 3 van loads. When I got to the new apartment, I never really unpacked them. Just carried heavy books up the steps for no reason.

10 years and 8 moves later (I am in the middle of one right now) I am down to about a dozen books.
New Im down to my louis lamour collection
some harry harrison, some chiltons a few few pratchetts.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New There's too much I want to read to spend time re-reading
--

Drew
New 2 people, 4 suitcases @ 23 kg
Oostende, BE -> Middlesex, VT, USA. That was back before airlines started charging for such. Anything that didn't fit went to whoever was interested. The only thing I regret having to ditch was my Ducati 748S.
New Ooh, that's a tough loss
--

Drew
     Thoughts on moving home, UK-stylee - (pwhysall) - (12)
         That sounds pretty close to US-stylee -NT - (drook) - (4)
             Bet it's quicker in the US - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 That's a little slow, however ... - (drook) - (2)
                     Re: That's a little slow, however ... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Not that, then -NT - (drook)
         We've lived in our first house since 1996 so no clue - (malraux)
         Re 9: An Irish Wedding feast? -NT - (mmoffitt)
         On books - (crazy) - (2)
             Im down to my louis lamour collection - (boxley)
             There's too much I want to read to spend time re-reading -NT - (drook)
         2 people, 4 suitcases @ 23 kg - (scoenye) - (1)
             Ooh, that's a tough loss -NT - (drook)

Hm. It all seems to cancel out. I’m back to not caring.
69 ms