IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New For MM: the original Cinco de Mayo, 200 years ago.
NY Times: Happy Birthday, Karl Marx. You Were Right!:
On May 5, 1818, in the southern German town of Trier, in the picturesque wine-growing region of the Moselle Valley, Karl Marx was born.
o o o
As we reach the bicentennial of Marx’s birth, what lessons might we draw from his dangerous and delirious philosophical legacy? What precisely is Marx’s lasting contribution?

Today the legacy would appear to be alive and well. Since the turn of the millennium countless books have appeared, from scholarly works to popular biographies, broadly endorsing Marx’s reading of capitalism and its enduring relevance to our neoliberal age.
yada, yada,... :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Thanks! And a belated Happy April 22 to you! :0)
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Rolling Stone has a pretty good one from four years ago as well.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New As Robert L. Heilbroner writes,

"We turn to Marx, therefore, not because he is infallible, but because he is inescapable." Today, in a world of both unheard-of wealth and abject poverty, where the richest 85 people have more wealth than the poorest 3 billion, the famous cry, "Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains," has yet to lose its potency.

Am hoping to snatch-the-Time to start at pp1 of my recent acquisition of two seminal Opera--the plural of Opus; cute, no?--Capital and Mein Kampff.
Since *First Editions (in this case: allegedly re 'in English Trans') it's not always that the fact is noted, though these are Alleged thus.

* Maybe this is akin to the idea/faux pas that: you never intro your mate as "this is my First-wife". Eh? ;^>

Frontispiece for Capital says, "Translated from the third German edition, by Samuel Moore and Edward Aveling ... And Edited By Frederick Engels. NY The Humboldt Publishing Co."
Engels' Preface dated November 5, 1886. Marx's preface is dated LONDON, January 24, 1873.

I Feare that this well may oer'crow my Spirit.. as Econ ever excites the vibrations of a bad piece of chalk on a real blackboard.
     For MM: the original Cinco de Mayo, 200 years ago. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
         Thanks! And a belated Happy April 22 to you! :0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Rolling Stone has a pretty good one from four years ago as well. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             As Robert L. Heilbroner writes, - (Ashton)

Void where prohibited.
124 ms