IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Want to know what info FB keeps on you?
NY Times:
When I downloaded a copy of my Facebook data last week, I didn’t expect to see much. My profile is sparse, I rarely post anything on the site, and I seldom click on ads. (I’m what some call a Facebook “lurker.”)

But when I opened my file, it was like opening Pandora’s box.

With a few clicks, I learned that about 500 advertisers — many that I had never heard of, like Bad Dad, a motorcycle parts store, and Space Jesus, an electronica band — had my contact information, which could include my email address, phone number and full name. Facebook also had my entire phone book, including the number to ring my apartment buzzer. The social network had even kept a permanent record of the roughly 100 people I had deleted from my friends list over the last 14 years, including my exes.
o o o
(Those who want to download their own Facebook data can use this link.)
I continue to not set up an FB account.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Of course, one doesn't have to have a FB account for them to have info on you.
WaPo:

[...]

“We receive information about you and your activities on and off Facebook from third-party partners, such as information from a partner when we jointly offer services or from an advertiser about your experiences or interactions with them,” Facebook’s data policy says.

The upshot here is that Facebook hoovers up a bunch of data about people who aren’t Facebook users, creating what are known as “shadow profiles.”

Zuckerberg said these Facebook-abnegators may “turn off and opt out of any data collection for ads.” But how would that even work, since they’re not Facebook users? Do they send postcards?

One option: “You turn it off by making a Facebook account,” said Gebhart, of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. (This, of course, is counterintuitive and defeats the purpose for those who want to avoid Facebook.)

Facebook’s website gives an email address for non-users to request their data, and there’s also an online form and a separate page with instructions on how to use third-party tools to turn off online ads or tracking. This isn’t really “opting out” in the sense that Facebook provides the option itself, and it’s not clear how these “shadow profile” individuals could have Facebook delete their data without first creating an account.

An ACLU technologist, Daniel Kahn Gillmor, wrote that Facebook compiled a lot of data about him – including “which news articles I was reading, my dietary preferences, and my hobbies” — even though he never signed up for a Facebook account.

I've been creeped out by Facebook from the beginning. I try to block FB widgets on many sites I frequent, but I'm not consistent about it. I've briefly visited maybe half-a-dozen public FB pages over the years, so I'm sure they've got a bunch of cookies following me around everywhere....

We can't escape them without being hyper-vigilant...

And it's going to get worse if they're not reined in. We know that companies like that have to keep growing, and with "2 Billion" users, they are going to have more difficulty finding (real) new users going forward, so they're going to do their best to steal as much information as possible from the rest of us...

Grrr....

Cheers,
Scott.
(" ... ") ;-)
New As well, I block their javascript almost all the time.
But, it's hard to avoid while processing online ordering.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Want to know what info FB keeps on you? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
         Of course, one doesn't have to have a FB account for them to have info on you. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             As well, I block their javascript almost all the time. - (a6l6e6x)

Layering different sounds.
49 ms