New Nice.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Long-form Kunstler
Will have to finish this at home.

[edit]

Now that I've finished it, I was right that Kunstler would approve:
It should be obvious to anyone that skyscrapers should be abolished. After all, they embody nearly every bad tendency in contemporary architecture: they are not part of nature, they are monolithic, they are boring, they have no intricacy, and they have no democracy. Besides, there is plenty of space left on earth to spread out horizontally; the only reasons to spread vertically are phallic and Freudian. Architect Leon Krier has suggested that while there should be no height limit on buildings, no building should ever be more than four stories (so, spires as tall as you like, and belfries). This seems a completely sensible idea.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook March 26, 2018, 10:13:28 PM EDT
New Thanks.. a virtual manifesto: Capitalism eats culture, and it makes ugly places. Money has no taste.
..and in conclusion, In My State :-/

Caltrans District 7 Headquarters. Photo credit: Morphosis Architects.
”Oh my fucking god, just look at it. Look at it! Does this make you happy? Does it nourish your spirit? What’s with all the little random protrusions? Aaaaagghh.”

Godzilla meets The Top 0.1% of $$homo-saps. And punts.
New We are Borg.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New !! :-/ The algorithmic symmetry of a Mindless futchah?
New you get buildings like that with public money
architects want to build something different but we have been building things from the mudhut days, not a lot of new out there. So to fix this, put the plans out to bid then let the buying public vote on the monstrosity of their choice.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Not always.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New fugly indeed
New I can give that melange a Pass..
Somehow it seems almost apt ... for the actual daily activities of its inmates; it could even stimulate the arabesques of Imagination necessary for "The New" to sorta begin to happen. Maybe.

(But that IS a quite specialized population.) Foisting this cognitive dissonance on all comers .. abject victims having to commute there daily and/or those forced to look at it (as that French square-penis sticking up for what can only be described as No Reason At All) ..that stuff remains the least interesting aspect of the jejune, as we Conservatives (not those Reactionary imposters) like to say.
New roof lines, drainage, whoops? wonder what the maintenance costs are
New Funny you should bring it up.
As I read the article, I kept expecting Maria Stata to show up as an example. But, it never did.

As I have not seen it, perhaps it's different in real life.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New What an odd article.
He seems to really have it in for Frank Gehry.

I think DA was wrong about airports. Airport terminals can be beautiful, but are often not for a variety of reasons. Incheon (Seoul) is marvellous, for instance, but Kingsford-Smith (Sydney) really needs tearing down and starting again.

I have a friend who loves Brutalism. She frequently burbles quite happily about it on Twitter.

Wade.
New Well, here in Los Angeles . . .
. . Frank Gehry's Disney Hall has been such a stunning success it is being imitated elsewhere. Some neighbors have complained about reflections of the sun off of it though.
New I can understand that.
Kind of glad that Jørn Utzon clashed with those funding the building of the Sydney Opera House. It meant no-one tried to copy it. :-)

Wade.
New Atlantikwall architektur
With the distinction that the bunkers were generally better integrated with their environment. Question of not standing out too much to passing bombers...
New I too enjoy brutalist architecture
I wouldn't want everything to look like The Barbican Estate in London, but I'd be properly miffed if nothing looked like it.
New I agree some of it looks cool, when it fits the environment
But this is shit no matter where they put it.

--

Drew
New Oh get out, that's awesome.
New Agreed minimalist lines where function follows form
New Cool to look at, not to live in
--

Drew
New Well, the added greenery does tend to hide the transistorized mindset
but it can't make it go away. That one of these plots exceeds $1M.. posh millennial techno folk?

(Everything is a Rorschach, innit?)
New The greenery helps a ton
Changes the feel from "Soviet prison block" to "hanging gardens of Babylon".

I do appreciate the brutalist aesthetic, but generally wouldn't want to live in it. For instance:

--

Drew
New I can feel the tetanus and lead poisoning through the screen.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Oh crap, more homework
The authors have several more articles that look to be worth the time.
--

Drew
     On the philosophy of architecture - (malraux) - (25)
         Nice. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Long-form Kunstler - (drook)
         Thanks.. a virtual manifesto: Capitalism eats culture, and it makes ugly places. Money has no taste. - (Ashton) - (2)
             We are Borg. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 !! :-/ The algorithmic symmetry of a Mindless futchah? -NT - (Ashton)
         you get buildings like that with public money - (boxley) - (5)
             Not always. - (malraux) - (4)
                 fugly indeed -NT - (boxley)
                 I can give that melange a Pass.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     roof lines, drainage, whoops? wonder what the maintenance costs are -NT - (boxley)
                 Funny you should bring it up. - (a6l6e6x)
         What an odd article. - (static) - (12)
             Well, here in Los Angeles . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 I can understand that. - (static)
             Atlantikwall architektur - (scoenye)
             I too enjoy brutalist architecture - (pwhysall) - (8)
                 I agree some of it looks cool, when it fits the environment - (drook) - (7)
                     Oh get out, that's awesome. -NT - (pwhysall) - (6)
                         Agreed minimalist lines where function follows form -NT - (boxley)
                         Cool to look at, not to live in -NT - (drook) - (4)
                             Ya think? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 Well, the added greenery does tend to hide the transistorized mindset - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     The greenery helps a ton - (drook) - (1)
                                         I can feel the tetanus and lead poisoning through the screen. -NT - (malraux)
         Oh crap, more homework - (drook)

Black candle lit.
199 ms