IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There's no reason not to do it, other than infatuation with the car because reasons
The vast majority of journeys are short - basically commuting or local shopping. An interesting indicator of this is that most crashes take place within a mile or two of the driver's home.

No-one apart from the idiot fringe is suggesting that all personal transportation be replaced by mass transit. There are lots of people whose journeys are ad hoc, and these people need personal transportation.

HOWEVER

Most people could go to and from their place of work via mass transit, if only it existed. This would vastly reduce the number of vehicles on the road, especially at peak times.

Look at London and NYC - these are places where sure, you could drive to work if you wanted, but that'd be stupid, because the mass transit infrastructure exists at a point where for most people, it's the better option not to.

You don't have to build out a London-style underground system - just regular buses, trams and trains will do.
New Disagree
We have about 80 years of contruction over vast areas that place suburbs around cities. The majority of the well paying jobs are distant from the housing. And distant in a manner that a 45 minute car commute would turn into a 3 hour multipoint public transportation nightmare. Your attempt to compare to your tiny island's reasonable solutions to our geography does not mesh.
New Re: Disagree
Well, you're fucked then :)
New Also
45 minute commute? Fuck that shit right in the ear.

I get grumbly when an additional 10 minutes means I spent half an hour getting to work.
New 45-60 for me.
Typically 40 on the way home depending on when I leave. In Detroit, which has nothing for mass transit worth talking about.

In DC I had a 1.5 hour commute by bus and subway and it was great: plenty of time to read, relax, whatever.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Yeah, I enjoyed my nyc commute.
Wife dropped off at train (5 min from house). 5 minute wait, then 72 minute ride. 10 minute walk through nyc.
Reverse was a PACKED train though, hot and sweaty, and then maybe a bus ride home.

Time on the train was spent reading and listening to music.

BUT: I justified the time spent on the commute as worth it because they were paying me stupid money. And the job was fun. I doubt I'd have the same calculation now.
New 54 miles 40-45 minutes 3.5 hours 1 way public transpo the a 2.5 mile hike. no thanks
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     That didn't take long. - (mmoffitt) - (47)
         I'll wait for the video -NT - (drook) - (42)
             Um, you doubt the veracity of the report? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (30)
                 No - (drook) - (29)
                     Local ABC affiliate video - (Another Scott) - (28)
                         Maybe - (drook)
                         But they *WILL* be pushed out because Shareholders and Banksters need more MONEY. - (mmoffitt) - (24)
                             Great reason to question the motives, but sometimes the "right thing" also make someone rich -NT - (drook)
                             It won't be long before it's the only kind of car I'll be allowed to use! - (a6l6e6x) - (22)
                                 Feh. Mass transit is and always was the answer. - (mmoffitt) - (21)
                                     Mass Transit? - (Andrew Grygus) - (20)
                                         How so? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                                             Re: How so? - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
                                                 Okay, it doesn't work for ambulances either. But those are outliers. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                     We also have to look at US geography - (Ashton) - (7)
                                                         There's no reason not to do it, other than infatuation with the car because reasons - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                             Disagree - (crazy) - (5)
                                                                 Re: Disagree - (pwhysall)
                                                                 Also - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                     45-60 for me. - (malraux) - (1)
                                                                         Yeah, I enjoyed my nyc commute. - (crazy)
                                                                     54 miles 40-45 minutes 3.5 hours 1 way public transpo the a 2.5 mile hike. no thanks -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Perhaps they need a permanent techie employee! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
                                                     Only one of my clients is big enough for that. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                                         Suit instead of suite? Was that intentional? If so, I like it. :0) - (mmoffitt)
                                                         A fun thing about Microsoft Exchange Server. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                             Another fun thing. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 Yeah, I ran into the open relay problem myself. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                     Systems guys at the law firm I worked at *turned off* the firewall - (drook)
                                                                 The flaw in "safety by obscurity" - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                     Permanent? - (crazy)
                         Got it backwards - (crazy) - (1)
                             Moi likes your reading-list.. -NT - (Ashton)
             And here's the video - (drook) - (10)
                 Drum has some good questions... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Those, plus... - (scoenye) - (2)
                         Agreed, but ... - (drook) - (1)
                             Indeed - (scoenye)
                     Lidar vendor doesn't understand it either - (scoenye)
                 New video ... they're evil, and screwed - (drook) - (4)
                     Not shocked at all... -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Me neither. Lower quality camera === more profits for shareholders. Capitalism is evil. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Confused. What does that video show? - (crazy) - (1)
                         Uber's makes it look unavoidable - (scoenye)
         It will be a brief pause before tests resume. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Photos of the scene - (drook) - (2)
             A+ for actually sleuthing ..almost showing that, - (Ashton)
             Multiple faults. - (static)

I don't know what "puerile twaddle" means.
95 ms