IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I have a virus called android
needed a phone in a screaming hurry. Went to phone store, asked for the cheapest phone that they had. Got a coolpad (whatever the fuck that is) every 3rd web page pops a you have a virus! Click ok to fix! never had that issue with my $MS phone. Same web pages. Do the rest of you have that issue?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Dunno what kind of sites you're going to, but I have a guess.
--

Drew
New drudge news.yahoo.com news.google.com and downstream links usually known news sites
during the day it happens the most and then I am riding a government wifi so am very careful of what I open
Expand Edited by boxley March 24, 2018, 08:48:43 PM EDT
New :-(
Did you buy a model-year 2014 phone?

http://me.ign.com/en/virus-14288181/99452/news/coolpad-android-phones-infected-with-malicious-backdoor

:-(

Some info on removing Cool Reaper and such-like: https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/172556/can-an-android-malware-persist-even-after-uninstalling-it

Good luck!

ETA: Let me know if you want my old (but still perfectly fine) LG V10. It's just sitting on the shelf.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott March 24, 2018, 09:54:45 PM EDT
New different coolpad model, thanks for the offer. I may just tape up the case on my $MS and switch back
New Most likely still there
This thing was no accident. One of the research papers linked to from that SE post shows Coolpad is the source of the backdoor and that they were still actively developing it in 2014.

https://www.scmagazineuk.com/hidden-backdoor-in-up-to-10m-android-phones/article/540936/

This one adds that you can uninstall CoolReaper with root privileges, so root and a vanilla ROM image should prevent it from returning via an OTA update.
New thanks, will patch my old nokia
New A four year old android phone
Is, if you're running its stock ROM, a fucking liability in 2018.

Root it and install a different ROM (if you can), or fuck it right into the bin.

You'd have been better off with a drug-dealer flip phone, tbh.
New It's a new phone 2017 model
New In which case
It's still shit, so fuck it into the bin anyway and get something else.
     I have a virus called android - (boxley) - (9)
         Dunno what kind of sites you're going to, but I have a guess. -NT - (drook) - (1)
             drudge news.yahoo.com news.google.com and downstream links usually known news sites - (boxley)
         :-( - (Another Scott) - (3)
             different coolpad model, thanks for the offer. I may just tape up the case on my $MS and switch back -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 Most likely still there - (scoenye) - (1)
                     thanks, will patch my old nokia -NT - (boxley)
         A four year old android phone - (pwhysall) - (2)
             It's a new phone 2017 model -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 In which case - (pwhysall)

Dorian Gray would show wear and tear in this job.
108 ms