IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And here's the video
https://www.recode.net/2018/3/21/17149428/uber-self-driving-fatal-accident-video-tempe-arizona

I would have hit her, too. Frankly I'm surprised the vehicle didn't react faster, but she crossed at the worst possible spot - no crosswalk, away from streetlights. The operator will get some trouble for looking down, but people look down more than that adjusting the radio. (No, I'm not saying looking down is acceptable.)
--

Drew
New Drum has some good questions...
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/03/tempe-police-release-video-of-uber-pedestrian-collision/

There are a few things we can tentatively say:

- The pedestrian was crossing in shadow and was virtually invisible a second before the crash. It’s unlikely any human driver could have avoided this collision.

[ One should never outdrive one's lights. If you can't see, slow down. The car shouldn't have been driving so fast if it couldn't see far enough ahead - just like a human should slow down. ]

- But the Uber car also has lidar and radar. Why didn’t those pick up the pedestrian?

- Also: one second might be too short a time for a human to react more than minimally, but it’s plenty of time for a computer. Maybe the Uber car couldn’t have avoided the collision completely, but it doesn’t seem to have reacted at all. Why?

I'm sure Uber will do it's best to blame the poor woman who was run over, and the woman "backup driver", before blaming their oh so wonderful self-driving car...

:-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Those, plus...
IMHO, the crosswalk issue is a red herring. In this case, it was a human, but there are plenty of other things out there that can enter the roadway without caring much where, or what the speed limit is. Some are sizable enough that a prang would not end well for the occupants of the car either.

Based on the images in Drew's post, there is nothing in the shoulder areas that would have hidden the woman from the car's sensors. I'd say Uber has a while to go before letting their junk loose on the public again.
New Agreed, but ...
Most of the comments I'm seeing online say that the typical human driver would have killed her just as dead. But also that the sensors we've been told self-driving cars are using should have easily seen her.

So in this specific scenario, the car was no worse than a human driver, but still so far from what we demand and expect from automation that we want them all grounded for the foreseeable future.
--

Drew
New Indeed
Being no less lethal than a human pretty much defeats the entire purpose.

(Interestingly, it also seems no better than a human in sticking to the speed limit...)
New Lidar vendor doesn't understand it either
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43523286

Basically "No else has this problem. It works as well in the dark as it does in daylight. Uber screwed something up."

And, of course, "there's really no need to halt testing over this." I guess their shareholders shouldn't suffer because of Uber's blunders. :-/
New New video ... they're evil, and screwed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRW0q8i3u6E

They used a shitty camera, tweaked the brightness before releasing, or both.
--

Drew
New Not shocked at all...
New Me neither. Lower quality camera === more profits for shareholders. Capitalism is evil.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Confused. What does that video show?
Here's the actual accident:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2018/03/19/uber-self-driving-autonomous-crash-arizona-pedestrian-dead-cnnmoney-orig.cnnmoney

I would have been able to avoid that EASILY at 48 mph which was the reported speed (at least in 1 article I read.) Hell, I've avoided deer in fog going about 65 at 1/2 the visibility.

And they have lider, ie: can see in the dark. This one is at LEAST manslaughter.
New Uber's makes it look unavoidable
The second video shows you have a clear field of view at the accident spot with plenty of range to spot a pedestrian approaching from the left.

Reporting about the speed limit has been confusing. Tempe PD originally said the car was doing 38 in a 35 mph zone. Streetview shows a 35 sign just before the river, but then a 45 sign just before the overpass.

Maybe Uber's AI is even more human: don't slow me down when I'm accelerating, fool!

(Although upping the speed limit just before you get to a complicated intersection should probably be added to the collection of roadway design gaffes.)
Expand Edited by scoenye March 24, 2018, 09:11:17 AM EDT
     That didn't take long. - (mmoffitt) - (47)
         I'll wait for the video -NT - (drook) - (42)
             Um, you doubt the veracity of the report? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (30)
                 No - (drook) - (29)
                     Local ABC affiliate video - (Another Scott) - (28)
                         Maybe - (drook)
                         But they *WILL* be pushed out because Shareholders and Banksters need more MONEY. - (mmoffitt) - (24)
                             Great reason to question the motives, but sometimes the "right thing" also make someone rich -NT - (drook)
                             It won't be long before it's the only kind of car I'll be allowed to use! - (a6l6e6x) - (22)
                                 Feh. Mass transit is and always was the answer. - (mmoffitt) - (21)
                                     Mass Transit? - (Andrew Grygus) - (20)
                                         How so? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                                             Re: How so? - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
                                                 Okay, it doesn't work for ambulances either. But those are outliers. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                     We also have to look at US geography - (Ashton) - (7)
                                                         There's no reason not to do it, other than infatuation with the car because reasons - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                             Disagree - (crazy) - (5)
                                                                 Re: Disagree - (pwhysall)
                                                                 Also - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                     45-60 for me. - (malraux) - (1)
                                                                         Yeah, I enjoyed my nyc commute. - (crazy)
                                                                     54 miles 40-45 minutes 3.5 hours 1 way public transpo the a 2.5 mile hike. no thanks -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Perhaps they need a permanent techie employee! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
                                                     Only one of my clients is big enough for that. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                                         Suit instead of suite? Was that intentional? If so, I like it. :0) - (mmoffitt)
                                                         A fun thing about Microsoft Exchange Server. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                             Another fun thing. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 Yeah, I ran into the open relay problem myself. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                     Systems guys at the law firm I worked at *turned off* the firewall - (drook)
                                                                 The flaw in "safety by obscurity" - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                     Permanent? - (crazy)
                         Got it backwards - (crazy) - (1)
                             Moi likes your reading-list.. -NT - (Ashton)
             And here's the video - (drook) - (10)
                 Drum has some good questions... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Those, plus... - (scoenye) - (2)
                         Agreed, but ... - (drook) - (1)
                             Indeed - (scoenye)
                     Lidar vendor doesn't understand it either - (scoenye)
                 New video ... they're evil, and screwed - (drook) - (4)
                     Not shocked at all... -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Me neither. Lower quality camera === more profits for shareholders. Capitalism is evil. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Confused. What does that video show? - (crazy) - (1)
                         Uber's makes it look unavoidable - (scoenye)
         It will be a brief pause before tests resume. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Photos of the scene - (drook) - (2)
             A+ for actually sleuthing ..almost showing that, - (Ashton)
             Multiple faults. - (static)

RESISTANCE IS USELESS!
168 ms