IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Removing RocketTab from Chrome? Using UBlock Origin.
Over the last few days I've noticed that if I do a Google search, then tell it to restrict it to News, then results are initially displayed then the page refreshes with a bunch of text ads at the top. I finally noticed today that the ads are from "RocketTab".

There's nothing in Winders Programs to uninstall for it, and there's nothing in Chrome's Extensions for it.

Any idea how I get rid of it? Is it Google's "approved ads" for Chrome, something to do with UBlock Origin? Something else?

It's mucho annoyingo.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Your PC has a cold
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-ad-by-counterflix-and-rockettab

Looks like something got on that hijacked the DNS settings. This is at the OS level, not Chrome. (I used to run ComboFix to clean up infested PCs but it does not work on Windows 8.1/10 and is rather ruthless. There are a couple of cases where it would dump part of the network stack. Caveat utilitor ;-)
New Yeah, I gotta do some medical treatments...
I don't recall downloading anything on to it recently, but I haven't done forensics yet. As if I didn't have enough things to do...

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
("But I thought Winders Defender was supposed to be a great AV program!!!1")
New Followed the instructions, made no difference.
I'm able to "Zap" the ad elements with UBlock Origin, but it isn't general enough to stick. Gotta do some more investigating.

Grrr.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Deleted Chrome (keeping settings), reinstalled. Eventually fixed - infected Extension.
No change.

Decided to delete all my Chrome Extensions except for TamperMonkey and UBlock Origin. That finally worked. Apparently one of the Extensions had been infected. Deleting all the others (an HP35 calculator, a font extension, an "Edit Office files with Google Docs, an HTML5 video autoplay stopper, and a couple of other similar things) got rid of the offending behavior.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Removing RocketTab from Chrome? Using UBlock Origin. - (Another Scott) - (4)
         Your PC has a cold - (scoenye) - (3)
             Yeah, I gotta do some medical treatments... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Followed the instructions, made no difference. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Deleted Chrome (keeping settings), reinstalled. Eventually fixed - infected Extension. - (Another Scott)

Don't touch that channel!
40 ms