IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New To be sure: that is NTFS specific
i.e. it has nothing to do with being on an SSD. It is due to the technical limitations of NTFS.

The main driver would be the file system in use.

HFS+ (most likely on El Capitan) was designed to resist defragmentation on old skool drives. APFS (High Sierra) OTOH, seems to have issues when running on spinning rust v. SSD.
New OK then.. the topic is still in Limbo at The Great Sphere in Cupertino :-/
Dunno if the (lengthy.. it seemed) upgrade to the best that my early '09 iMac can accommodate: included a full disk *reformat? (I did see in Console some refs to a massive dance with some Cloud repository;) mayhap thus: they saved a whole my-data disk-image for re-install ..but what do I know re their machinations of late.

* which, in the event, via SSD would have happened in a trice, natch. I still think it boggling that.. so many GBytes can be shuffled about automagically via my tiny coax, with nary a CRC-error all along.. along.. alo
New I would not worry too much
Upgrades are in place with on the fly conversion of HFS -> HFS+ -> APFS (High Sierra only). The observed cloud activity was likely the update manager pulling down the latest security packages. Unless you have a trivial amount of data, uploading an entire disk would take a very noticeable time on the average residential broadband connection.

Defrag-wise, HFS+ on SSD doesn't need it. On HDD, very large files (like virtual machine guest image) may suffer and need rearranging (but it may be simpler to keep an unadulterated copy and just clone the VM when it becomes unwieldy.)

If you're worried about wear leveling, take a look at disabling sleep & suspend. The default setting dumps the entire memory image to disk every time you close the lid.
New Thanks again, seems that my modest needs are close-enough default. Nice :-)
     re SSD -vs- "defrag" lengthy blog report in Winders forum - (Ashton) - (4)
         To be sure: that is NTFS specific - (scoenye) - (3)
             OK then.. the topic is still in Limbo at The Great Sphere in Cupertino :-/ - (Ashton) - (2)
                 I would not worry too much - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Thanks again, seems that my modest needs are close-enough default. Nice :-) -NT - (Ashton)

Get the hell out of my driveway!
79 ms