IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Some words from $$$Davos re Drumpf--on one hand--$$$ on the Other
Here.

But then.. Newsmax gets mixed reviews re competence? (as opposed to how good are the free coffee-cakes? if the top is always micro-managing.)
Whom might.. we Trust in 2018 (besides one's Mother..)
New as far as the $$$ go it was stridently predicted that the stock markets
would crater right after his inauguration. The economy would tank. Maybe the talking heads really do not understand the market. Very surprising.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I don't remember those predictions
I'm willing to believe that's a function of what news sources I was reading, but that's not how I remember it.

Most of what I remember is that he's so pro-business that income inequality would increase, so the stock market could very well go up even as the economy that the bottom 90% experience stagnates or gets worse.
--

Drew
New oh, ok
Expand Edited by boxley Jan. 25, 2018, 10:34:30 PM EST
New Embarrassing, but ...
But what if something bad happens and the economy needs a boost? The Fed and its counterparts abroad basically have very little room for further rate cuts, and therefore very little ability to respond to adverse events.

Everything I'm seeing there is that with Trump you can expect volatility. With no room to respond, we're one shock away from recession.
--

Drew
New hey, if you had told me that a year in the market would be 26k
I would have wanted to get a hit off of your spliff.
Just pointing out that because someone is a left leaning person in science everything they predict is not gospel.
New We're finding out how much the market is driven by self-fulfilling prophecy
--

Drew
New Maybe it's because he hasn't actually successfully implemented HIS policies yet?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New taxes, check. obama rollbacks mostly check epa neutered mostly checked. Did I miss something?
New {{sigh}} Your tape badly needs a Re-Mix.
New eh? mmoffit asked?
just because you dont agree with what he is doing (aside from the tax plan I don't agree with what he is doing) doesnt mean he has not made progress on his agenda. Right now he looks like he gets his wall by not overhauling deep cuts into immigration.
New General economic trends pre-date Drumpf. But, you know that. And I'm not playing.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New A year and a half of on-again, off-again "trade war" and tariffs later, as the first...
...actual effects[1] of Drumpf's policies are about to show up in the form of a nascent recession...

Yeah, did you? I'd say -- with apologies for the benefit of hindsight -- that yes, you did.

--
1: Having coasted on Obama's policies for the first few years, as always happens.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New ..Wins! 2020 Prognostication Award (Box's science-iffy assertions are, well.. Box's-all-alone)
New Krugman way underestimated greed.
Doing away with regulations that will reduce costs and let the "little people" die earlier in return.

Let the corporation and the very rich pay way less taxes and put that increased debt on the "little people's" kids and grand-kids tab.

What's not to like?
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New PK's Twitter interview today.
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/958762632105873414

In usual Twitter fashion, the reply is above the question, here:

Paul Krugman ‏Verified account @paulkrugman

Paul Krugman Retweeted Handelsblatt Global

I briefly let my political dismay overwhelm my economic models (I retracted in 3 days). The fact is that in normal times central bankers matter much more for the business cycle than politicians; for now, the Fed and the ECB are doing their jobs, and Trump doesn't matter much

Paul Krugman added,

Handelsblatt Global
Verified account

@HandelsblattGE

Our first question @paulkrugman, is: The global economy is flourishing and not even Trump has been able to derail this economic boom. You predicted a “huge recession and market crash”. Why have your predictions not come true? #HBGlobalDay #economics #recession #GFC
10:03 AM - 31 Jan 2018

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Key point in there: "I was wrong, and here's where I said so"
Find anyone who spent 8 years predicting Obama would destroy the economy ... or anyone saying rampant inflation is right around the corner ... who has ever said that.
--

Drew
New good to know, that makes more sense
     Some words from $$$Davos re Drumpf--on one hand--$$$ on the Other - (Ashton) - (17)
         as far as the $$$ go it was stridently predicted that the stock markets - (boxley) - (16)
             I don't remember those predictions - (drook) - (15)
                 oh, ok - (boxley) - (14)
                     Embarrassing, but ... - (drook) - (9)
                         hey, if you had told me that a year in the market would be 26k - (boxley) - (7)
                             We're finding out how much the market is driven by self-fulfilling prophecy -NT - (drook)
                             Maybe it's because he hasn't actually successfully implemented HIS policies yet? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                 taxes, check. obama rollbacks mostly check epa neutered mostly checked. Did I miss something? -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                     {{sigh}} Your tape badly needs a Re-Mix. -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         eh? mmoffit asked? - (boxley) - (1)
                                             General economic trends pre-date Drumpf. But, you know that. And I'm not playing. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     A year and a half of on-again, off-again "trade war" and tariffs later, as the first... - (CRConrad)
                         ..Wins! 2020 Prognostication Award (Box's science-iffy assertions are, well.. Box's-all-alone) -NT - (Ashton)
                     Krugman way underestimated greed. - (a6l6e6x)
                     PK's Twitter interview today. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Key point in there: "I was wrong, and here's where I said so" - (drook)
                         good to know, that makes more sense -NT - (boxley)

They believe our game is food?
115 ms