On our first anniversary we didn't have much money. I went the flower shop and they didn't have any red roses, but did have a pink one. So I bought that and brought it home. The next year, for the second anniversary, I bought one red and one pink (a red rose for each previous year and one pink for the current). I've been doing that for all 34 of our anniversaries. Our anniversary is in September, so it's gotten quite expensive. While she said several times "this is too much, you shouldn't keep doing this" there was only one year that it appeared that I might not have the roses on our anniversary. We happened to be on vacation and were going out from the resort to have dinner. The resort purported to have flowers available and I'd ordered 14 red and 1 pink as usual but they hadn't shown up at the room all day. As we were heading through the lobby on our way out to dinner, I stopped at the concierge and asked where the hell my roses were. They went to the back office and when they opened the door, I saw them sitting on a table. They came back and said they were sorry. Turned out one of the girls at the desk liked them so much she decided to keep them until evening instead of delivering them in the afternoon when they were delivered to her.

They brought them out and my wife's eyes lit up and she confessed, "Oh, that's wonderful! I thought I wouldn't get them this year." So much for "too expensive."