IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thinking ahead to Valentine's Day
Do women actually like fresh-cut roses?

No, seriously. If they liked them, wouldn't they occasionally buy them just to have them in the house? They're much cheaper the rest of the year, so it wouldn't cost much, right? As far as I can tell the whole point is for someone (usually the guy) to "show how much he cares" by a display of wasteful spending.

I've thought about the spending part of this before, but when someone was talking about pumpkin pie - and how we only have it around Thanksgiving - I realized women will sometimes have other flowers around the house but never (that I've seen) roses.
--

Drew
New Traditions are breaking down...
Marrying your high school sweetheart, 2.3 kids, yada yada yada. It's great that those tropes are fading away (at least to some extent).

Roses are cheap these days, but didn't used to be. (The wonders of Colombian flower farms.) . Trader Joe's has flowers year round for very reasonable prices.

J is much more appreciative of my getting long-standing chores done than receiving stuff bought at some store, but that's an example of one. When I see stories about "average" weddings costing tens of thousands of dollars, it's clear that there are still lots of industries determined to keep those "traditions" alive.

So, we're not big on Valentine's Day around here.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Not for Valentine's day, but I started something and now I can't quit.
On our first anniversary we didn't have much money. I went the flower shop and they didn't have any red roses, but did have a pink one. So I bought that and brought it home. The next year, for the second anniversary, I bought one red and one pink (a red rose for each previous year and one pink for the current). I've been doing that for all 34 of our anniversaries. Our anniversary is in September, so it's gotten quite expensive. While she said several times "this is too much, you shouldn't keep doing this" there was only one year that it appeared that I might not have the roses on our anniversary. We happened to be on vacation and were going out from the resort to have dinner. The resort purported to have flowers available and I'd ordered 14 red and 1 pink as usual but they hadn't shown up at the room all day. As we were heading through the lobby on our way out to dinner, I stopped at the concierge and asked where the hell my roses were. They went to the back office and when they opened the door, I saw them sitting on a table. They came back and said they were sorry. Turned out one of the girls at the desk liked them so much she decided to keep them until evening instead of delivering them in the afternoon when they were delivered to her.

They brought them out and my wife's eyes lit up and she confessed, "Oh, that's wonderful! I thought I wouldn't get them this year." So much for "too expensive."
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
     Thinking ahead to Valentine's Day - (drook) - (2)
         Traditions are breaking down... - (Another Scott)
         Not for Valentine's day, but I started something and now I can't quit. - (mmoffitt)

There aren't many trolls in North Korea, either.
69 ms