Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Here Be Dragons
Very interesting article about Google Maps. Article begins with a question:

"How far ahead of Apple Maps is Google Maps?"

and proceeds to the answer.

"Google is creating data out of data."

https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat
New Agreed that it's a good article.
Maps really is amazing, and I'm glad they're continuing to work so hard to improve it.

Are you (or anyone else) seeing a lot more invitations to "improve" maps, directions, comment on amenities at your destination, etc.? Over the last couple of months I seem to get 1-2 a day. It's good they're asking for input, but I wonder what else they're doing...

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who almost never reviews places, but is happy to answer questions about parking or bathrooms or whatever.)
New I get those all the time
But when I've gone out of my way to submit corrections based on recent construction ... nothing.
--

Drew
New Yup on that, too.
There was a hotel off I-70 in Springfield, OH that was misidentified in Maps for a while. I let them know. I think I actually did get a "thank you" note about it a few weeks later.

Oh, I saw a TomTom camera car driving through our neighborhood while I was out walking the dog this AM. I guess they're not giving up, even with the huge lead that Google has.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I did that a few months ago; "took" only on the 2nd or 3rd try. Hmm, waitasec...
Yup, seems to still be in place; I can't seem to force it to lead me wrong there. That was a crossing leading into the next street in such a fasion that you're "funnelled" one way, and turning the other way is forbidden.

Unofrtunately testing that brough to light that they now have the exact same problem at another crossing a few hundred meters away: It directs me to take a turn which I'm fairly sure is not allowed.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Just finished reading
Interesting that they didn't mention the projects to map and/or photograph building interiors. Or how user-submitted photos (and photospheres) are displayed.
--

Drew
New I got a "Please take a photo inside!" in the supermarket the other day. 1st such for me.
New Ooh, that's true
I'm constantly getting prompted to take photos when I'm inside "locations of interest". Never considered that they'd be using it for 3D mapping or extracting other intelligence from it.
--

Drew
New It's a good article.
It sounds like someone at Google with data modelling skills is driving the projects. Very Google-ish.

Wade.
     Here Be Dragons - (dmcarls) - (8)
         Agreed that it's a good article. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             I get those all the time - (drook) - (2)
                 Yup on that, too. - (Another Scott)
                 I did that a few months ago; "took" only on the 2nd or 3rd try. Hmm, waitasec... - (CRConrad)
         Just finished reading - (drook) - (2)
             I got a "Please take a photo inside!" in the supermarket the other day. 1st such for me. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Ooh, that's true - (drook)
         It's a good article. - (static)

Not the sharpest knives in the drawer by far.
75 ms