IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There's plenty of scope.
They hit their Kickstarter goal in 3 days.

It also does USB audio. I can see a possible future possible product being a four-source, rack-mountable device. Even a two-source device could be a thing. Could be popular in churches, school, pretty much any PA-for-hire.

Wade.
New I may get one to go with my Essential PH-1
But I do get concerned when I see things like this:

This thumb-sized gadget packed with technologies supports Qualcomm’s aptX HD codec, which allows you to stream 24bit hi-res music wireless. Unluckily for the iPhone users, the aptX HD codec has never been of their interest - but don’t you worry. EarStudio automatically enhances 16bit music into 24bit sound. Meaning, whatever device you are using(iPhone or Android), whatever the source is(from Spotify streaming to hi-res music files), you will be able to enjoy 24bit sound through EarStudio.

Um, one can't (in general) add information after the fact. This sounds like the magic upscalers that can supposedly turn HD video into 4K video. Um, no, (in general) it can't.

It may improve the audio (or video), but it's not the same as recording at 24-bits (or 4K). Plus, there are distortions created in every A/D and D/A cycle. Some of those distortions can be tweaked to sound more pleasing to the ear than others, but adding more bitness after the fact doesn't necessarily make the sound more accurate or whatever.

Still, it sounds like a very useful little box. I just wish they didn't feel the need to go down the "more bitness is better and we can make any music have more bitness" road (as they apparently felt the need to do).

Cheers,
Scott.
New My experience says that doesn't matter.
That particular "fact" feels like pandering (slightly) to marketing needs. Yep, it's rubbish marketing, but in my experience, it doesn't matter.

What is harder to explain and of more importance is that the "extra bitness" provides two interesting benefits. The local volume control is done by analogue attenuation which means turn the volume down and the noise floor drops, too. The digital stream is not altered. 24-bit DACs would have a lower noise floor than 16-bit and this alone is IMO a good enough reason.

The other trick is that it can and will play audio from two Bluetooth sources simultaneously. Mixing that digitally needs at least an extra bit or two. 24-bit to the DAC gives them ample room to do that.

Wade.
     HiFi Bluetooth audio - the EarStudio. - (static) - (4)
         Neat. I was thinking there was a market for such things. Thanks for the pointer. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
             There's plenty of scope. - (static) - (2)
                 I may get one to go with my Essential PH-1 - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     My experience says that doesn't matter. - (static)

Ultima ratio regum.
59 ms