IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New pocahontas apology has been written for her
https://thinkprogress.org/elizabeth-warren-is-not-cherokee-c1ec6c91b696/
Sen. Warren needs to accept responsibility for misappropriating Native identity for her own economic and political gain. To help her, I have drafted an apology, which she has my full permission to appropriate. Every last word:

I am deeply sorry to the Native American people who have been greatly harmed by my misappropriation of Cherokee identity. I want to especially apologize to the over 350,000 citizens of Cherokee Nation, Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and the United Keetoowah Band. In my family, there is an oral history of being Cherokee, however, research on my genealogy going back over 150 years does not reveal a single Native ancestor. Like many Americans who grew up with family members claiming to be Cherokee, I now know that my family’s stories were based on myth rather than fact. I am not enrolled in any of the three Federally recognized Cherokee Tribes, nor am I an active member of any Cherokee or Native American community. Native Nations are not relics of the past, but active, contemporary, and distinct political groups who are still fighting for recognition and sovereignty within the United States. Those of us who claim false Native identity undermine this fight.

I am sorry for the real damage that Native Americans have experienced as the debate about my false identity has revived the worst stereotypes and offensive racist remarks, all while Native people have been silenced. I will do my part as a Senator to push for the United States to fully recognize tribal nations’ inherent sovereignty and uphold our treaty obligations to Native Nations. I will use my national platform to advance the rights of Native Americans and I commit to building real relationships in Indian Country as an ally and supporter.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Re: "who have been greatly harmed by my misappropriation of Cherokee identity."
She may not have any Native lineage, but "greatly harmed" is at minimum a great exaggeration. Was there some one Native American who was not admitted to college or receive a scholarship or get a job because she was ahead of him/her?

So maybe she believed some family tales and used that for possible advantage. She definitely should try a DNA test to settle the issue.

How about Trump apologizing to the Navajo WW-II Code Talkers heroes for the "Indian Killer", "Trail of Tears" president Andrew Jackson portrait overlooking the proceedings? Talk about an ignorant, insensitive, POS (President of States, less united with every tweet) Trump!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New he absolutely should
New What utter fucking bullshit drivel. Have you, at long last, neither shame nor brains left?
New oh, so real indians cant point out that fake indians hurt their causes? good to know
New Fake or not, it can be a problem.
If she was using it from a position of privilege, then I believe that's a subversion of the intent.

It has in the past been difficult to know definitively as well. My family was convinced, to the extent of having photographic and written evidence, that my great-grandmother was Obedjiwan. It turns out that the evidence was misinterpreted and that the individual in question (who was very much Obedjiwan) was actually a sister in-law of my great-grandmother's instead. We didn't figure this out until my mother had a DNA test done very recently. If Warren hasn't had that test done then she should, but it can be easy to make that mistake without it.

Even if that had been the case, I don't believe my family would have right to take advantage of such things given that we're doing fine without it.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: ... given that we're doing fine without it.
What are you? Some kind of Communist? :0)
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New :-)
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New cherokee is pretty easy to check out
most of the eastern tribes were documented in such a fashion that it made the SS envious. Those who hid out and or intermingled that didnt make it on the roles had recognizable last names so a straight geneology search would settle it pretty quick and those who have done so in her case came up empty. You are correct, a DNA test may help.
     pocahontas apology has been written for her - (boxley) - (8)
         Re: "who have been greatly harmed by my misappropriation of Cherokee identity." - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             he absolutely should -NT - (boxley)
         What utter fucking bullshit drivel. Have you, at long last, neither shame nor brains left? -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
             oh, so real indians cant point out that fake indians hurt their causes? good to know -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                 Fake or not, it can be a problem. - (malraux) - (3)
                     Re: ... given that we're doing fine without it. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                         :-) -NT - (malraux)
                     cherokee is pretty easy to check out - (boxley)

No clue.
99 ms