IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You have to post some 360 video when you get that
--

Drew
New No video yet. Initial Essential Ph-1 mini-review.
Ph-1 = Ph-one = Phone. Clever. ;-)

I finally backed up everything on my LG V10 and got the Ph-1 configured today.

I had to buy some USB-A to USB-C cables to get it to talk to my PC to do some backups. It comes with a charger and a USB-PD cable, but nothing that connects to a PC.

It's fast. I like the vibration motor. It's well assembled and feels good in my hand (in the case I got for it).

I always want to use a glass screen protector. I got one for it and it installed easily. Unfortunately, the front isn't perfectly flat (it has a gentle crown), so there's a gap around the edges. :-( It's not a functional problem (thus far), and looking straight on it's not really noticeable unless you look for it, but it's an aesthetic annoyance.

It's running 7.1.1 with the latest security updates. Supposedly Essential is skipping 8.0 for 8.1 for the next OS upgrade.

I used "SMS Backup +" to backup my text messages, to a new (dedicated) GMail account. It didn't seem to finish fully the first time, so I did it twice. It seemed to work. I transferred my Pimlical calendars and contacts list via the PC. I have 3 (now 4) Gmail accounts that I used on the V10. I didn't appreciate that my Android Contacts were tied to a Google account and not to the phone. On starting up the Essential, I saw that my Google contacts were scattered across the 3 accounts, and some were missing. So I spent a bunch of time re-entering that data and collecting it all in one account (to make things easier next time) - there may have been some way to get it via some backup, but it wasn't clear to me. (LG has a "LG Backup" but that's for LG to LG transfers.)

The Essential (maybe a feature of 7.1, the V10 is on 7.0) offers the ability to setup multiple Users on the phone, but that seems to set them as segregated users (like different logins on Winders) - so that wouldn't have helped me with the contacts issue.

I'm used to the V10 combination power/fingerprint sensor button on the back. The Essential has the fingerprint button in the same place as the V10, but there's a separate power button on the side (near mis-side, under the volume buttons). Pressing the power button twice brings up the camera quickly. The fingerprint sensor is fast.

The stock launcher seems Ok, but I decided to try Nova Launcher (and spent the $5 for the Prime version). I haven't studied all the options, but I think it will be worth using (I like that it saves all the settings to make it easier to transfer them to a new phone, when the next upgrade comes).

I've only taken a few inside pictures thus far. They're Ok - good exposure and colors with a reasonable amount of light, some issues with low light (but that's to be expected). Not terribly sharp though. I imagine it'll be better outside and with better light.

I haven't figured out a replacement for a LG weather "widget" that sits on the home screen that was very handy. 1-2 icons high, 3-4 icons wide. Small and unobtrusive, but big enough to show more than a temperature and an alert that there's a flood watch. Looking on the Play Store for weather widgets has thus far shown me weather apps that run full screen (and many that require a bunch of scrolling). :-( . I'll have to look around some more.

So far, I'm very happy with it. It seems well worth the $400 I paid for it.

Dunno when I'll get to trying the 360 camera. Apparently it uses a huge amount of power and the battery life is very short. Plus, one has to remove any case to use it. :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Stock Android has a whether widget that matches that description
Not sure why you aren't seeing it.
--

Drew
New I find the list of "apps" easily, ...
But I don't see any "widgets".

Sliding up the app drawer shows lots and lots of apps. On the V10, there's a tab with "widgets", but I don't see that on the Ph-1. Curious.

I'll have to poke around some more.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ah, here we go.
It apparently needs to go on the Dock or something.

Details here:

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/nova-launcher-101-add-any-widget-android-oreos-expanded-dock-0181059/

I'm using the NOAA Weather Free widget. Then a long-press on the widget to resize the and I'm done.

There's probably some way to put it directly on the home screen, but this is good enough for now.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Also, too.
Long-pressing on an empty area of the home screen brings up a menu of widget options. I think I tried that earlier but nothing seemed to happen. Maybe a reboot was required or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers,
Scott.
New Chronus for your weather widget
New Thanks for the pointer.
     Essential PH-1 with 360 camera for $399 at Amazon today. - (Another Scott) - (35)
         You have to post some 360 video when you get that -NT - (drook) - (7)
             No video yet. Initial Essential Ph-1 mini-review. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 Stock Android has a whether widget that matches that description - (drook) - (3)
                     I find the list of "apps" easily, ... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Ah, here we go. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Also, too. - (Another Scott)
                 Chronus for your weather widget -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Thanks for the pointer. -NT - (Another Scott)
         You're in an exclusive club. - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Yup. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Nah, let it go pop - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Didn't realize (or didn't remember) this. - (Another Scott)
         Had to move on... - (Another Scott) - (22)
             Re: And it has the 3.5 mm jack! Woot! - (a6l6e6x)
             That 3.5mm jack. - (static) - (20)
                 I'm sure it will eventually be replaced. - (Another Scott) - (19)
                     So why can't I find a Bluetooth mic for my car? - (drook) - (18)
                         The Kenwood (IIRC) head that I got for Joan's Corolla has a wired mic. - (Another Scott)
                         Don't car BT head-units have their own mic? - (scoenye) - (16)
                             That could be why I'm not finding them - (drook) - (15)
                                 How do you have it paired? - (scoenye) - (14)
                                     It's not with a head unit - (drook) - (13)
                                         FM repeater??? WTF was 2018, the Stone Age? - (CRConrad) - (12)
                                             My car is a 2004 - (drook) - (4)
                                                 Yup, sure, valid reason. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                     My last three - (drook)
                                                 well you "could" replace the radio, cheaper than replacing the car -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     I'm gonna need my own ride again when the kid comes home -NT - (drook)
                                             "Head unit" - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                 "Head unit" ... "volume knob" ... - (drook) - (4)
                                                     No you're not. -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                         No, I actually tried - (drook) - (2)
                                                             Perhaps your expectations were premature... -NT - (malraux)
                                                             Perhaps you had forgotten "the fastest four-handed game" of all® - (Ashton)
                                                 Ah. Thought it might be one of those where you take off the front, but that would be "the face" then -NT - (CRConrad)

MEAT HELMET!
85 ms