IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "The Woman Who Smashed Codes" (npr)
TechNation podcast

OK you amateurs.. here's a code-breaker operative from WW-I through WW-2, having cut her teeth on rum-runners' pirate radio stations for the USCG (on to drug-versions) --> thence to early Enigma--BY HAND--before Bletchley Park had built itself.. We'd never have heard of her had not the author stumbled onto the Name and pursued matters solo, finally to National Archives (where stuff in identical-sized boxes could languish forever (as in The Ark of the Covenant)). He got lucky, while being persistent.
(Anyone else heard of her, earlier?)

More male hubris? that we're hearing of this via the random chance of curiosity of one man, after ... ... all these years.

Moira speaks with journalist Jason Fagone talks about Elizebeth Smith Friedman, a pioneer in codebreaking, from World War I to rumrunners to drug smuggling to the famous Enigma machine. His book is “The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine Who Outwitted America’s Enemies.”

New Thanks, Ashtom. Fascinating!
I read about her husband in the "Code Breakers" (by David Kahn) back in 1967, and still recall that he came up with a test that showed that ciphertext had information without knowing what that information was.

Dollars to donuts she had a hand in that!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     "The Woman Who Smashed Codes" (npr) - (Ashton) - (1)
         Thanks, Ashtom. Fascinating! - (a6l6e6x)

It ran CP/M, I believe.
106 ms