IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New He had his breakdown.
Stalin’s Breakdown
During his thirty-year rule of the Soviet Union, Joseph Stalin succeeded in stifling all opposition. There was never a serious threat to his leadership. But there was one occasion, at the end of June 1941, when Stalin suffered what may have been a mental breakdown. When, after three days, his colleagues came for him, he fully expected to be arrested.

But they hadn’t come to arrest him, they’d come to plead with him, begging him to return and take control. Stalin had survived and was to remain in power until his death twelve years later. But what had brought about Stalin’s temporary collapse, and why did his Politburo colleagues fail to bring to an end his murderous rule?
“We were witness to his moment of weakness,” recalled Beria later, “and for that he’ll never forgive us.”
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New I know that story
And his Politburo colleagues did not come to arrest him because they had all either been psychologically broken by him, or owed their careers to him, and all recognized that he was the only man who could hold together the state he had created in his cruel image, and deploy it against the existential Nazi threat.

cordially,
New "le mot juste" precísamente [Ed: blongs under Rand's nonpareil phrase/bad moi.]
(phrases too..)

One wag asserts,
Flaubert spent his life agonizing over "le mot juste." Now Madame Bovary is available in 20 different crappy English translations,
so now it doesn't really make a damn bit of difference.

(but I digress and disagree, anyway.)
Expand Edited by Ashton Nov. 14, 2017, 07:39:22 PM EST
     Kotkin’s Stalin bio, volumes 1 & 2 - (rcareaga) - (14)
         do you have a link to a point of sale? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Denial is not a river in Brazil, if you catch my meaning. -NT - (rcareaga)
         The man was evil personified. - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
             The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy, nothing more -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 But not what Radio Moscow was saying at the time. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Fake news! -NT - (drook)
             Pole-axed - (rcareaga)
             Some of the reverence Stalin still enjoys, while I disagree whole-heartedly, I understand. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                 Stalinist cost-benefit - (rcareaga) - (4)
                     He had his breakdown. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                         I know that story - (rcareaga)
                         "le mot juste" precísamente [Ed: blongs under Rand's nonpareil phrase/bad moi.] - (Ashton)
                     A brilliant description: "appalled respect." Exactly my sense of the man. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         a prophecy - (rcareaga)

He’s negotiating with himself, and he’s losing.
50 ms