IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Some of the reverence Stalin still enjoys, while I disagree whole-heartedly, I understand.
I've heard some Russians say that Stalin inherited a nation with wooden plows and left in its place a nuclear power. There's no arguing that he did drag the Soviet Union into the twentieth century. But the cost was, quite obviously, far too great.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Stalinist cost-benefit
I once saw a visual rendering that put it this way: imagine a graph depicting human suffering in the west during the industrial revolution, with the horizontal axis representing a century-and-a-half of time, and the vertical the degree of suffering, rendered as a rising and then as a descending curve. A second graph depicts the industrialization of the USSR under Stalin, with the horizontal axis much shorter—twenty-five years—and the vertical axis much higher, since even capital’s direst Gilded Age counteroffensives did not involve shooting fifteen hundred people a day. The point being made (with what validity I am not prepared to speculate) was that the areas enclosed by the two curves were roughly equivalent.

Stalin seems to me, on the basis of Kotkin’s account, to have been the indispensable man when it came to Stalinism: an able, energetic, superhumanly determined character absolutely and sincerely a believer in Marxist-Leninist theory, who willed into being the USSR as a major industrial power. We may question whether absent its transformation in that harrowing crucible (if you will pardon the blending of an agricultural and an industrial metaphor, which seems not inapropos here in this context), a Soviet Union capable of turning back the German onslaught would have emerged from a kinder, gentler alternative Bolshevik leadership. If, as I believe, the answer is “probably not,” it may be argued that, given the character of Hitler’s regime and of what it might have achieved with a defeated, supine Russia as its granary, the cost, while steep, was not “too high.” I admit that if one happened to have starved to death during collectivization, this does not make for a particularly persuasive case.

I hope I do not appear to be defending the dreadful man, but for better or for worse, we have all of us been born into the world he had a major part in creating. Kotkin limns a character impossible to admire, but who compels our appalled respect. And I speak here as a US citizen of Truman Administration vintage, and accordingly marinated in Cold War mythos (North American edition). I can imagine how the despot’s accomplishments resonate today in the minds of Russian nationals of my age, who remember when their country made its enemies tremble.

cordially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga Nov. 13, 2017, 06:27:46 PM EST
New He had his breakdown.
Stalin’s Breakdown
During his thirty-year rule of the Soviet Union, Joseph Stalin succeeded in stifling all opposition. There was never a serious threat to his leadership. But there was one occasion, at the end of June 1941, when Stalin suffered what may have been a mental breakdown. When, after three days, his colleagues came for him, he fully expected to be arrested.

But they hadn’t come to arrest him, they’d come to plead with him, begging him to return and take control. Stalin had survived and was to remain in power until his death twelve years later. But what had brought about Stalin’s temporary collapse, and why did his Politburo colleagues fail to bring to an end his murderous rule?
“We were witness to his moment of weakness,” recalled Beria later, “and for that he’ll never forgive us.”
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New I know that story
And his Politburo colleagues did not come to arrest him because they had all either been psychologically broken by him, or owed their careers to him, and all recognized that he was the only man who could hold together the state he had created in his cruel image, and deploy it against the existential Nazi threat.

cordially,
New "le mot juste" precísamente [Ed: blongs under Rand's nonpareil phrase/bad moi.]
(phrases too..)

One wag asserts,
Flaubert spent his life agonizing over "le mot juste." Now Madame Bovary is available in 20 different crappy English translations,
so now it doesn't really make a damn bit of difference.

(but I digress and disagree, anyway.)
Expand Edited by Ashton Nov. 14, 2017, 07:39:22 PM EST
New A brilliant description: "appalled respect." Exactly my sense of the man.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
     Kotkin’s Stalin bio, volumes 1 & 2 - (rcareaga) - (14)
         do you have a link to a point of sale? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Denial is not a river in Brazil, if you catch my meaning. -NT - (rcareaga)
         The man was evil personified. - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
             The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy, nothing more -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 But not what Radio Moscow was saying at the time. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Fake news! -NT - (drook)
             Pole-axed - (rcareaga)
             Some of the reverence Stalin still enjoys, while I disagree whole-heartedly, I understand. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                 Stalinist cost-benefit - (rcareaga) - (4)
                     He had his breakdown. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                         I know that story - (rcareaga)
                         "le mot juste" precísamente [Ed: blongs under Rand's nonpareil phrase/bad moi.] - (Ashton)
                     A brilliant description: "appalled respect." Exactly my sense of the man. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         a prophecy - (rcareaga)

I have seen them...
77 ms