Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New oil filter problem
oil filter is welded to the housing
attempts to remove it shattered filter
tried a punch to move the threads of the filter to unscrew from the housing
anyone have any ideas?
Other than dont loan your vehicle long term to a kid who never changed the oil in 2 years
Just finished replacing the headgaskets and this is the last piece to get it running again
dodge 3.3 6 banger
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Torch to soften it up then pull?
--

Drew
New If you've tried a screwdriver through it, dunno...
I assume you've seen things like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Svkq_B6MQ

The usual problem I have is getting enough leverage to use any sort of wrench. I've eventually learned that tightening the filter just beyond finger tight is enough, and then one can take it off by hand as well. (Yeah, I know, you are stuck with it the way it is.)

Is the filter housing easy to access? Maybe you can take it off easier than the filter. You'd need a new gasket (or some Permatex or something).

But looking at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErXc0wuq0Is - (at around 2 minutes) it's not clear that there is a separate oil filter housing. :-(

If you've destroyed the filter, the only thing left to do is to keep destroying it until you get it off. I don't think there's any alternative. Can you get a Dremel up there to cut a radial notch in the remainder of the mounting side of the filter?

:-(

I hope you are able to get it off without too much more pain.

Good luck!!

Cheers,
Scott.
New hammer and chisel after slicing into the gasket got it, paininnass
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New That reminds me of a saying: "Don't force it, use a bigger hammer!" :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New K&N has filters with a 17mm hex nut welded on
Been using those on the bikes as the few pennies more up front beat the mess on the back end hands down.

Edit: that's not quite 3/4". Oops.
Expand Edited by scoenye Nov. 10, 2017, 05:51:31 PM EST
     oil filter problem - (boxley) - (5)
         Torch to soften it up then pull? -NT - (drook)
         If you've tried a screwdriver through it, dunno... - (Another Scott) - (3)
             hammer and chisel after slicing into the gasket got it, paininnass -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 That reminds me of a saying: "Don't force it, use a bigger hammer!" :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 K&N has filters with a 17mm hex nut welded on - (scoenye)

Considering that all you're risking is the $15 co-payment, there's no harm in giving him a shot at it.
76 ms