IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The Disappearing American Grad Student
NYT

There are two very different pictures of the students roaming the hallways and labs at New York University’s Tandon School of Engineering.

At the undergraduate level, 80 percent are United States residents. At the graduate level, the number is reversed: About 80 percent hail from India, China, Korea, Turkey and other foreign countries.

For graduate students far from home, the swirl of cultures is both reassuring and invigorating. “You’re comfortable everyone is going through the same struggles and journeys as you are,” said Vibhati Joshi of Mumbai, India, who’s in her final semester for a master’s degree in financial engineering. “It’s pretty exciting.”

[Ed: moi] I mean {{uggh}} ... Imagine WHAT is in the (stacked-deck of-) CARDS for our already tenuous Futchah!
(Just Try-to imagine THAT Cowardly New World™©, wherein the Vigorish is robotically-inserted into every ATM function, etc.... etc.:-( ... [/Ed]

The Tandon School — a consolidation of N.Y.U.’s science, technology, engineering and math programs on its Brooklyn campus — is an extreme example of how scarce Americans are in graduate programs in STEM. Overall, these programs have the highest percentage of international students of any broad academic field. In the fall of 2015, about 55 percent of all graduate students in mathematics, computer sciences and engineering were from abroad, according to a survey by the Council of Graduate Schools and the Graduate Record Examinations Board.

In arts and humanities, the figure was about 16 percent; in business, a little more than 18 percent.

The dearth of Americans is even more pronounced in hot STEM fields like computer science, which serve as talent pipelines for the likes of Google, Amazon, Facebook and Microsoft: About 64 percent of doctoral candidates and almost 68 percent in master’s programs last year were international students, according to an annual survey of American and Canadian universities by the Computing Research Association. In comparison, only about 9 percent of undergraduates in computer science were international students (perhaps, deans posit, because families are nervous about sending offspring who are barely adults across the ocean to study).

Expand Edited by Ashton Nov. 5, 2017, 02:10:44 PM EST
New That 80 percent is incredible.
I bet the foreign grad students don't get the scholarships and student aid and are way more profitable to the school.

I got my master's in CS a decade after I got my bachelor's in EE. And IBM totally paid for it!

In the days at MIT, about 10% of undergraduates and 25% of graduate students were foreign.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New "master’s degree in financial engineering" ... ?
--

Drew
New See Edit above ... :-( You didn't miss it either :-)
New I recommend that people don't get CS Masters
If you just want to work in the field and do pretty much whatever you want then a bachelor's is sufficient. The field and tech change so quickly that you're not going to learn much of use in the day to day with the additional degree.

If you want to get higher up in architecture in a big company doing brand new things, then sure.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     The Disappearing American Grad Student - (Ashton) - (4)
         That 80 percent is incredible. - (a6l6e6x)
         "master’s degree in financial engineering" ... ? -NT - (drook) - (1)
             See Edit above ... :-( You didn't miss it either :-) -NT - (Ashton)
         I recommend that people don't get CS Masters - (malraux)

Brought to you by the Tennessee Valley Authority!
142 ms