Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Any news from A?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Re: Any news from A?
Nothing since Monday. I’ll try rattling his chain this afternoon. He may be somewhere near a working cellphone repeater.

cordially,
New cryptic text message from AB
Received last night at 11:13 PDT. In its entirety:
Ar
Your guesses are as good as mine.

bemusedly,
New He's a pirate now?
--

Drew
New status update
(Great minds run in similar gutters. I asked him that very thing in my response) Received just now (excerpts from the Ashtonese):
Mainly hanging out with ill friend, akin to frying pan into fire, as the air tankers seem chimerical as any sort of authentic preventative: now Sonoma is add-to-list…We’re (bipeds n’ cats) looking for the Cosmic humor within this present air war over CA…for the nonce, Stet Fortuna Domus (both)…motto of one Ricketts House. Or as the Orange one’s Duh goes…We’ll /cough/ see shortly.
cordially,
New Thanks.
Fingers crossed for him, his ill friend, and everyone else in the vicinity.

:-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks. Send him well wishes from me, if you've the opportunity.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Amen to that!
Just got back from a "retreat" in NC mountains and have been out of the loop. No TV and very sketchy cell phone connections.

Thanks for the updates Rand!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Well, that's definitely really him, and not an imposter.
New Trooth
--

Drew
New Good even if it's a "butt text". :-) TLaPD was September 19, so I assume that's not it. ;-)
New Sorry.. (just an oTpy which had no bizness escaping.)
New Talked to him again at mid-day
Looks from the map link mmoffitt provided that his home may be history. He’s some distance away looking after a friend of similarly advanced years who has mobility issues. They may be subject to evacuation orders, in which case we will expect them at The Crumbling Manse™ on short notice.

cordially,
New Re: Talked to him again at mid-day
I don't live in an area at risk of wildfire, flood or any other natural disaster.

But this does make me think about how much worse such a situation could be for those folk who are inclined to place value in stuff. I don't mean monetary value; a prudent insurance policy covers that. I mean "here's the thing that Bob brought us back from his trip to Darkest Peru", and "this is an ornamental picture frame made out of your dear old dad's luckiest lucky socks". I don't. I have literally one single physical memento of my late father, and I could not tell you right now where it is.

For me, losing my home to flood or conflagration would lead to a heavy sigh and a phone call to the insurance company. For someone whose home is filled with physical expressions of their experience and memories, it would be something rather less mundane.
New I once heard an interview with Julio Iglesias (not Junior)
He was playing for Real Madrid when he broke his back in a car accident, ending his career. The interviewer asked him if he had any mementos from his playing years. He said that he didn't believe in keeping things as memories. If he ever wants a good memory, he'll go do something worth remembering.
--

Drew
New combustible memories
I am acquainted with a couple who were vacationing in Nepal when the Oakland Hills burned in 1991, taking out their home and about 3500 others. The internet was not yet a commercial phenomenon in those days, meine Kinder, and mobile communication technologies in their rather bulky infancy, so my chums were not exactly keeping current with the news as they hiked and explored out in distant Woglandia. When their son picked them up at San Francisco Airport upon their return, they asked him “Anything happen while we were gone?” “You could say,” he replied.

The house, goods, chattel were all a total loss, I gather, with not so much as a scrap of paper saved. Talking about it a couple of years later, one of them said that while they’d as soon it had never happened, the loss of everything was strangely liberating. “We’ll never accumulate so much stuff again,” she said. As I look around my cluttered study, crammed to the rafters with the books, files, equipment I transported here last month from BDS—a python attempting to digest a largish porcupine—I feel wistful, though not sufficiently so to take up arson as a retirement hobby.

I got the sense that A is disposed to be philosophical about the likely loss of his cottage, although he sounded wistful about a couple of oscilloscopes. I’d cross my fingers for his place, but the efficacy of the gesture is unproven; I have never heard even anecdotal accounts that it is effective ex post facto; it becomes damnably difficult to type with one’s digits so arranged.

ashes to Ashton, dust to debris,
New What people grabbed before evacuation.
NY Times: Fires Rage. You Must Evacuate. What Do You Take?

I wonder what Ashton did with the cats.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New cats are safe with A
Ashton is presently on the west side of the town of Sonoma. The east side has just been ordered evacuated. There’s a good chance we’ll see him and the kitties here by evening.

cordially,
New Excellent!
I've heard about what it's like to be herding cats, but clearly Ashton managed it.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New herding cats
He reports that it was tricky—one of them is making the transition from feral to domestic, and is more accustomed to being outdoors than in—but that it was his (perhaps fanciful —Ed.) notion that their senses were conveying that Something Bad was going on, and disposing them to perhaps delegate these decisions to Management.

cordially,
New That's great news
Give him and the cats a scritch behind the ears for us.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Send my best wishes.
Let us know how we can help, please.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Scritches/ear area applied.. ack/nak ..purring reported.
Biased I am, but have been surprised at the level of acceptance these two* have demonstrated: from hours in back seat as I gathered the necessaries, emptied fridge/unplug and like that, on through release into tiny bathroom (tub prepared by an ept cat-person with one carrier as hiding-place at one end.) It's a week now, some small mews not Yowls and such. (Maybe they're not well.. but appetite, digestion say Fine.)

* 'recovering feral' previously had been briefly in my kitchen, then hid silently for a dozen hours/thought he had found door outside ajar/ but nope.. made a sound and got let out at bedtime. This was only his second experience being un-free. How cuth is that ..Y'know?

as Ripley was saying (as a drooling vulgarian-Cabinet Operative uncoiled behind her)
Lucky.. lucky.. lucky..
New Glad to (h)ear it!
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     Fires in Northern California - (rcareaga) - (55)
         The pictures are horriffic - (Another Scott) - (1)
             One thing lacking from that map: evacuation zones - (scoenye)
         Good man. - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Yeah, so he can keep building kitchen appliances for us. -NT - (CRConrad)
             Ibid. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         how far is this from modesto? hope Ash is ok -NT - (boxley) - (33)
             Re: how far is this from modesto? - (rcareaga)
             Map of fire locations. - (mmoffitt) - (31)
                 Looks grim - (rcareaga) - (25)
                     :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Any news from A? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                         Re: Any news from A? - (rcareaga) - (10)
                             cryptic text message from AB - (rcareaga) - (9)
                                 He's a pirate now? -NT - (drook) - (6)
                                     status update - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                         Thanks. - (Another Scott)
                                         Thanks. Send him well wishes from me, if you've the opportunity. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                             Amen to that! - (a6l6e6x)
                                         Well, that's definitely really him, and not an imposter. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             Trooth -NT - (drook)
                                 Good even if it's a "butt text". :-) TLaPD was September 19, so I assume that's not it. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 Sorry.. (just an oTpy which had no bizness escaping.) -NT - (Ashton)
                         Talked to him again at mid-day - (rcareaga) - (11)
                             Re: Talked to him again at mid-day - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                 I once heard an interview with Julio Iglesias (not Junior) - (drook)
                                 combustible memories - (rcareaga) - (8)
                                     What people grabbed before evacuation. - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                                         cats are safe with A - (rcareaga) - (6)
                                             Excellent! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                 herding cats - (rcareaga)
                                             That's great news - (malraux)
                                             Send my best wishes. - (Another Scott)
                                             Scritches/ear area applied.. ack/nak ..purring reported. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                 Glad to (h)ear it! -NT - (malraux)
                 Map of evacuation areas, etc. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Condition Brown - (rcareaga) - (3)
                         Update - (rcareaga) - (2)
                             Thanks. Fingers crossed. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Update redux - (rcareaga)
         wholly smoke - (rcareaga)
         Update finalmente (for now); a good one—now with Chronicle - (rcareaga) - (7)
             Excellent! Cthulhu and the FSM be praised. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             awesome! -NT - (boxley)
             Woot! -NT - (scoenye)
             Outstanding! -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Makes my day! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             That's a tough one - (drook)
             Thanks for the PS. That's a huge amount of devastation. :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
         Hola! Me Droogies.. - (Ashton) - (6)
             Yay! -NT - (scoenye)
             Awesome! - (malraux)
             Very good to see you!! Hope you get back home soon. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Ibid. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 And his ancient silyscopes . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Don't think I've heard* of such a 3-layer working-phosphor of that vintage - (Ashton)

A hearty “Shalom amigos!” comes to mind.
254 ms