IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Looking for a camera recommendation
I used my >7-year-old camera last night, and someone else was shooting the same event with his new-ish one. The difference in quality is pretty stunning.

I don't care as much about long zoom as about low-light performance, so a big sensor is more important than interchangable lenses.

What's good under $500?
--

Drew
New You've got lots of choices.
Lots of it comes down to personal preference and how much post-processing you want to do.

If you want to control everything and tweak it in PhotoShop, then you need to shoot RAW. IIRC, most modern cameras give you that option these days.

If you just want good out-of-the-camera shots, then you need to pay attention to the JPEG algorithms. Some brands sharpen more than others, some soften more than others, etc., etc.

If you want a large sensor P&S with a fixed lens, you probably should look at the Canon GnX series. I have a G1X that I've only used half-a-dozen times. It's a very nice camera, but I haven't used it enough to justify the cost. I've used my Canon SX40 superzoom much more (for trips).

Also check and see if you need a custom adapter if you want to use standard filters. They're available, but an additional expense.

Check out DPPreview DPReview (part of Amazon) for good reviews of current stuff (and historical reviews).

If you're not sure, you might want to check out the used stuff at B&H. You can save quite a bit over buying new, and they don't really go bad. ;-)

I'm a fan of Canon cameras. One bad thing about them though is that the Canon brand batteries are ridiculously expensive and don't last as long as they should. So you need many batteries if you're taking pictures all day. Aftermarket batteries are much cheaper though they don't last as long.

My dad was into Nikons.

Personally, my next camera is likely to be a mirrorless or a compact-ish cropped-sensor body. Full-frame are still far too expensive for me, and the additional lenses I would want are too heavy and expensive to drag around on a hike or city tour. The smaller cameras are "good enough" and much more travel-friendly. But choice of mirrorless is still up in the air - there's still lots of advances going on there, it seems.

HTH a little!

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Oct. 8, 2017, 07:58:52 PM EDT
New That B&H link is perfect, thanks
--

Drew
New All compacts are dogshit in low light
Second-hand DSLR is the way to go.

Fast 35mm lens, and you're set.
     Looking for a camera recommendation - (drook) - (3)
         You've got lots of choices. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             That B&H link is perfect, thanks -NT - (drook)
         All compacts are dogshit in low light - (pwhysall)

Same thing we do every night, Pinky... try to take over the WORLD!
55 ms