IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Or: "How can I believe in God . . .
. . when certain people are never smited?"
New perhaps some codger who is targeted whips out a trusty .44 and defends a home invasion, could happen
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Shouldn't that be "smitten"?
Yeah, I know that's mostly used in a metaphorical sense, but this is actually the same word, innit?
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New IIRC smite, smote, smitten ... but it's been a while.
New Interesting.
It probably *is* the same word, grammatically speaking, but the past tense seems to have acquired a quite different meaning than its other tenses.

Wade.
New I used it that way deliberately for the exact reason . . .
. . as stated by Static.

There are times when grammatical correctness does not say what you want to say.
New Amen, brother..
Language is Nothing.. unless the [referent] for each important word in your sentence: means The Same Thing™©® ...to the er, "Reader-addressed!" I wot.

(Of course in Real Life: you can get this Rite occasionally; in scatter-shots to the masses?)
Ya gets it Rong a fair-% of the attempts.

Good Luck on that ... it's a Clusterfuck Out There .. [cf. Tower of both Babel and babble]

Carrion
..sometimes it's just a word-salad
New You're contributing to the spreading of dumbth.
No "probably" about it, it _is_ the same word. It hasn't "changed meaning", it is just _mostly_ used in a metaphorical sense. But it has neither become a separate word nor lost its original meaning.

Farting about inventing new forms of it for the original meaing is useless. What's next, since "it struck me" is often used to mean youve realised something, we should start saying "something striked me" when we're actually struck in the face? That way madness lies.
--
Christian R. Conrad

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Languages are always changing.
Trying to stop it is like trying to stop the sun rising or the tide changing.

Wade.
New Yup, sure. But thanks to those of us trying to dam the rising tide...
...you have at least a chance to understand Shakespeare in the original. Without this rearguard fight to slow the change, he would be as intelligible as Beowulf.
--
Christian R. Conrad

New In current usage over here . . .
. . the word "stricken" is most used in contexts of love, art and architecture. That is not the kind of context I intended to state.

You remind me of a high school English teacher who marked me down for using the "obsolescent" word "undoubtably" instead of the "current" word "undoubtedly". I very specifically wanted to say it was not possible to doubt it, not that it was generally not doubted.

I lost plenty of faith in English teachers over that. Unfortunately, at the time, I was not aware of Ambrose Bierce's definition of "obsolete", which would have put her in her place.
New Re: "the word "stricken" is most used in contexts of love, art and architecture"
In Sun City, it's in the context of a heart attack! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Except you seem to have switched sides since then.
I'm with young Andrew back then, all for using the correct word even at the risk of the great unwashed masses of ignorami not getting it; let them get some fucking Allgemeinbildung.

You seem to have joined your old teacher, prissily proscribing a perfectly correct usage on the grounds that said masses of ignorami may find it "obsolete". Which end of that Bierce quotation do you feel you are on?
--
Christian R. Conrad

found someone stealing air - (boxley) - (16)
         Wish I believed in hell -NT - (drook) - (13)
             Or: "How can I believe in God . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
                 perhaps some codger who is targeted whips out a trusty .44 and defends a home invasion, could happen -NT - (boxley)
                 Shouldn't that be "smitten"? - (CRConrad) - (10)
                     IIRC smite, smote, smitten ... but it's been a while. -NT - (Ashton)
                     Interesting. - (static)
                     I used it that way deliberately for the exact reason . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                         Amen, brother.. - (Ashton)
                         You're contributing to the spreading of dumbth. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                             Languages are always changing. - (static) - (1)
                                 Yup, sure. But thanks to those of us trying to dam the rising tide... - (CRConrad)
                             In current usage over here . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 Re: "the word "stricken" is most used in contexts of love, art and architecture" - (a6l6e6x)
                                 Except you seem to have switched sides since then. - (CRConrad)
         I suspect that CA Oversight has got to beat THIS.. by a few orders of magnitude - (Ashton) - (1)
             you might want to check it out just in case -NT - (boxley)

Remember, rank times IQ is a constant.
114 ms