IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Odds, for Vegas
Wednesday 6 p.m. EDT - The over/under for when Trump says something stupid and tries to take the news cycle back.

3-to-1 Odds that, when he says his stupid thing, it mentions Hillary.

5-to-1 Odds that it mentions Obama.

No bet: He accuses anyone who questions gun ownership of politicizing a tragedy.
--

Drew
New Is 50 the magic number?
I mean, there were only 20-odd at Sandy Hook (but they were just kids and left-wing teachers), and 49 in Pulse (but they were mostly feelthy hermerseckshuals, not right-thinking god-fearin' folk, so they also don't count, prolly).

But this was 50 actual people.

Is it time? Time for that conversation?

Heh, just kidding. America long ago decided that tens of thousands* of gun fatalities a year is a price worth paying for whatever it is that Americans get from guns.

*33,000 last year, give or take
New Don't forget, the ones at Pulse were also mostly brown
--

Drew
New OT: Loved Oxfordshire England and Moffat, Scotland of course.
So much of your country is to be envied, but this was the first time I'd ever set foot there. I hope it won't be the last.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Envy your distance from this charnel house
..as the Rate-of-descent of "all-things-Bright-and-Beautiful" is daily accelerated by that Effect ... to be covered in an Opus, sure to be released in near future..

A Drumpfwork-Orange

..because this toxic-from-birth child/man, now as deadly as any of those colorful Alkaloids which poison so gleefully,
is behind every such occurrence these days: of anything execrable within the dis-US and in any elsewhere on which he affixes his dead-eyed gaze.

And, beside a handful: No Minion of this rump-"government" (in any of its hallow'ed Estates) has yet summoned the GUTS to get this lethal-Apparition Far-away-from all the levers
of the pewling, disgraced dis-US's obscene-Power-to-Maim any living thing around.

Carrion.
Its scent grows best in a carefully-tended Bed-of-Shit, like... well, you Know.
New But wait! Let's let the good guys with guns save us!
New Only 280K dead in the New-New Millennium?
Can the gunners keep up with the death-by-broiling rates? (now just simmering.. on the Agenda.)
Drumpf likes only Winners, so ... ...

U.S.A. dis-
U.S.A.
U.S.A.
U.S.A.
U.S.A.
U.S.A.
U.S.A.
U.S.A.
U.S.A.
... or maybe they'll all be too stoned to notice the ones not moving?
New Re: "But this was 50 actual people."
Latest count is 58.

'Tis a small price so that the owners of the NRA can maximize profit.

And, the NRA owns the majority of the US Congress.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New yes we did
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Re: Is 50 the magic number?
Naw, Chicago averages more than that per month
New Yeah, let's keep pretending we're not getting the point.
That's how one gets and maintains such a stalwart reputation for intellectual probity.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New oh I get the point, in chicago the folks are not listening to country music so doesnt matter
New LA Times had an article on Sunday . . .
. . (8 Oct 17) on Country Music artists suddenly realizing with some horror that it is they who have been promoting this culture of guns and outlaws through many of their songs.
New the obituaries
I’ve looked at the news accounts listing the dead, and notice that every one of them for whom a description was provided appears to have been a wonderful person, a paragon. Just once, I’d like to read a survivor saying something like, “Well, actually, Fred was a bit of a swine and a blowhard. He took the air right out of the room. I mean, I’m sorry he’s dead and all, but Jesus, what a fucking jerk he was.”

cordially,
New I've been saying that about movies for years
When talking about real people, it's entirely possible that everyone willing to make a statement really believes the subject is a nice person. But in fiction, just once I'd like to see a movie where there's a major character who's a complete asshole but isn't guilty of the whodunnit.
--

Drew
New I don't think Hollywood would like that.
It's quite a fundamental movie trope, after all.

Wade.
New Au contraire, I think I've seen it quite a lot in recent years.
The "bad guy" who turns out not to be _the_ bad guy, that is.

At least in Nordic, British, and German stuff, but American too IIRC. (All more TV than cinema.)
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Yes, I was referring specifically to US cinema.
Which is why I said "Hollywood".

US TV, particularly from studios like HBO (where a show's whole season is often paid for upfront), is more daring. Has been for quite a few years. Non-US TV and non-US cinema are also more experimental.

Wade.
New gary oldman "state of grace"
New Netflix doesn't have it, will check the library
--

Drew
New the very best "last 5 minutes of a movie"
New also if you watch the movie, guess who he based his character on."no googling"
I heard it in an interview, in retrospect it fit
New Channeling Carlin circa 1978?
bcnu,
Mikem

New I Salute your orderly dbase of bitchin links!
George, a Loss regretted by millions worldwide, in all truthiness. Cthulhu! does moi Miss the sucker :-{
(within this very clip, he deals with reincarnation and on-into The Perfect Murder™)

/Me wants a copy of your collection! The Carlin Tapes urls, each with a few well-chosen words re The Gems within.
Still ...guess we'll always have: that actual B&W video of Tom Lehrer's opus, now so Apropos:
We Will All Go Together When We Go

We don't get to see: [Carlin On Drumpf ... in Carnegie Hall AND Parliaments across the world.] more's the pity.
New No dbase. Just memory. :0)
bcnu,
Mikem

New Smart-ass..
(Takes One to Know one)

Heh, I've got LOTS of stuff in 'memory'; the trick is in Finding it innit?
Are we all heading for --> W.O.M. er Write-Only ... (in case you forgot that ;^>

I Who Was? Be.
New Two hours to go ... doesn't he have a press conference coming up soon?
--

Drew
New Looks like I was off by an hour-and-a-half
http://people.com/politics/president-trump-las-vegas-tribute-videos-starring-himself/amp/?xid=amprecirc4

Visiting first responders and victims in Las Vegas made Wednesday “a very, very sad day” for him “personally,” but that didn’t stop President Trump from starring in two music videos honoring the heroes and victims of the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history.

Trump took to Twitter Wednesday night to share footage from his visits with first responders and victims of Sunday night’s massacre, when a gunman rained fire on concertgoers, killing 58 people and injuring more than 500.

Would have made it by 6 if the editor had gotten off his ass.
--

Drew
     Odds, for Vegas - (drook) - (27)
         Is 50 the magic number? - (pwhysall) - (11)
             Don't forget, the ones at Pulse were also mostly brown -NT - (drook)
             OT: Loved Oxfordshire England and Moffat, Scotland of course. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Envy your distance from this charnel house - (Ashton)
             But wait! Let's let the good guys with guns save us! - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Only 280K dead in the New-New Millennium? - (Ashton)
             Re: "But this was 50 actual people." - (a6l6e6x)
             yes we did -NT - (boxley)
             Re: Is 50 the magic number? - (boxley) - (3)
                 Yeah, let's keep pretending we're not getting the point. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     oh I get the point, in chicago the folks are not listening to country music so doesnt matter -NT - (boxley)
                     LA Times had an article on Sunday . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         the obituaries - (rcareaga) - (12)
             I've been saying that about movies for years - (drook) - (7)
                 I don't think Hollywood would like that. - (static) - (2)
                     Au contraire, I think I've seen it quite a lot in recent years. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Yes, I was referring specifically to US cinema. - (static)
                 gary oldman "state of grace" -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                     Netflix doesn't have it, will check the library -NT - (drook) - (2)
                         the very best "last 5 minutes of a movie" -NT - (boxley)
                         also if you watch the movie, guess who he based his character on."no googling" - (boxley)
             Channeling Carlin circa 1978? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                 I Salute your orderly dbase of bitchin links! - (Ashton) - (2)
                     No dbase. Just memory. :0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                         Smart-ass.. - (Ashton)
         Two hours to go ... doesn't he have a press conference coming up soon? -NT - (drook)
         Looks like I was off by an hour-and-a-half - (drook)