IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Too true!
It's just like all my gloves, they're based on a design that's probably at least as old as the headphone jack! It's high time we redesign gloves.
--

Drew
New Evolution didn't "design" the headphone jack...
There's no reason why someone couldn't come up with something like the magnetically-affixed MagSafe power adapter on MacBook Pros (which Apple, naturally, is phasing out) for audio.

In fact, someone tried something like it on Kickstarter.

The audio connection can be external, maximizing the internal volume.

Yeah, network effects and all the rest, but there are good reasons for the 3.5 mm phone jack to die.

Cheers,
Scott.
("Who never-the-less will be considering its presence or absence on the next phone he gets.")
New Apple patent blocked Magsafe-like connectors for years
I'll admit, that's one I'd switch for. Just thinner though? Nope.

As for gloves, the point is they have to fit the hands I already have. Whether those hands are a good design or not doesn't change that.
--

Drew
New *Good* reasons? Do tell.
New Heh. You know the reasons.
People just disagree on the ranking.

Cheers,
Scott.
New No, I don't.
Every alternative seems worse to me.

Wireless needs charging (inconvenience, limited useable time, yet more batteries that are shitty for the environment) and compromises audio quality (no wireless solution is lossless).

Other plugs are proprietary, so my existing stuff doesn't work.

What is better than the 3.5mm jack, and how is it better?
New Licensing aside, something like Magsafe
It's sufficiently better that I'd buy adapters.
--

Drew
New Yeah, but that's not a thing, is it?
It's just something that'd be cool if someone made it.
New You said "better", not "available"
I'll conceded, though, that "available" is a pretty valuable feature.
--

Drew
New We won't be using 3.5 mm jacks in 50 years.
I'm willing to bet that something else will replace it.

Audio isn't that tough a problem. Nyquist limit, etc., etc. Let's say we do 5x that for the audio purists - 100 kHz. That's slow - very slow. In-air ear [sheesh] speakers don't need much power. Amplifiers are very good, so not much electrical power would be needed to send the signal from a phone to an in-car amplifier or whatever.

BlueTooth bandwidth keeps expanding. Wireless audio is going to keep improving. Yeah, batteries are a problem, but batteries are getting better (slowly).

[edit:] Also too, wireless power transfer is a thing, but TANSTAAFL.

But even with the many benefits of wired connections, it's silly (IMHO) to believe that it's going to stay via 3.5 mm connections for the next 50-100 years. There are better ways to do it:

1) ways that don't take up so much space inside the phone.
2) ways that are more reliable (MagSafe - Apple's patents won't last forever, or could be licensed (but is a real problem))
3) ways that enable additional functionality (e.g. power and audio and video via one smaller connection - e.g. a MagSafe Thunderbolt X) for VR, audio, brain-wave monitoring and tweaking, insulin monitoring and delivery, bill payments, etc., etc.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Drew - you still using your paper tape reader?

Remember when Ethernet used huge ~ DB-25 connectors and taps into ~ 1/2" diameter coax?

Sometimes it is indeed too expensive and too painful to change from existing standards. But 3.5 mm audio jacks aren't in that category, IMHO. Similar arguments were made against replacing micro-USB.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who expects BlueTooth will eventually get good enough that it won't matter (to all but the top 1% of audiophiles) if the 3.5 mm jack is gone, but that the 3.5 mm jack will also be supplanted by something better.)
Expand Edited by Another Scott Sept. 20, 2017, 11:20:21 AM EDT
New Micro-USB is a bad comparison
The 3.5 mm jack has several advantages over micro-USB:

* Omni-directional insertion. (Yes, along an axis, you pedant.)
* Graceful degradation among various formats - mono, stereo, with and without mic.
* Sturdy.
* Can be made (reasonably) water-tight.
... and let's not forget ...
* Ubiquitous as fuck.

Micro-USB was only announce in January 2007, and became the most widely used by December 2010, though Apple users have been on Lightning since 2012. So there was maybe a 2 year window for micro-USB dominance. That's not ubiquitous.
--

Drew
New Everything in that post is a bad comparison
You forgot another feature: 3.5mm jack headphones can be DAB/FM radio antennae.
New Will second the snark re phrase, "good reasons" ;^>
A nice exercise/snap-quiz? on .. umm, critical-thinking?

Methinks that Drook's glove example is more al punte than any of those [tacit] good-reasons to which you allude.. How could you "improve" The Glove?
That mini-plug/jack combo resembles an likely even more ubiquitous "electrical connector" ... present in Every locale which has a land-line TELEPHONE installed:

Recall? when that simple-bent-wires-based connector was brand New? [I. Do.] You had bare-wires + screwdrivers in awkward places ... Before.
Some thought: it doesn't look expensively-Advanced-enough! to fill so important a task as
Likely.. being utterly ignored/never 'cleaned' nor otherwise fussed-with ... for n-Decades of malignant-neglect:
this vital connection 'twixt You --> and All-those-phone-numbers. Ever had to replace one of these?/never mind the matching cords mangled in hundreds of ways.

I submit that both minuscule-Items are in same Class with another most-clever engineering solution: to a consideration of mechanical "exactness" exemplified by the film-moving pawl!**
within the--then the World's least costly/while well-performing--8mm movie camera: the Kodak™ Brownie.

** this was a fav teaching example (about the concepts of "redundant constraints" of the ilk,)
3-points determine a plane; a 3-legged stool is unconditionally stable on any uneven floor yet most stools have 4-legs.
(My Mech. Drawing Instructor had brains/fingers in a huge variety of such conundrums as well as audio and other disciplines.)

In the Brownie case, the problem was to achieve accuracy of parallel-placement of 2 metal sheets which supported the axle on which this pawl oscillated.
Error produced unacceptable film damage! The Swiss used precision machining of all parts and expensive tiny ball bearings.
Kodak folk realized that very-precise 'balls' (as in -bearings) were dirt cheap; further: 3 accurate dimples could be pressed into simple flat plates such that the balls exactly determined their parallel-separation.
Precision at lowest-cost. I deem that this was: Thinking-outside-the-Box long before that became #1 tiresome cliche.

Similarly then.. the UBIQUITY of the topic's entirely adequate connector--the wealthy may even flash the sucker with Aurum if they share Trump's obsession--demonstrates its decades
of successful use, despite all the abuse we can anticipate.

tl;dr *nix fans? It DOESN'T NEED replacing. Its RECORD speaks volumes for its suitability AS USED.
aka just FIX your fucking-fone-Pipe-dreams, Timmy!
[ n + a jillion new transistors] complexifies a SIMPLE and adequate thing.
(As mentioned, it's shape could be made tinier wherever it's worth a trade-off: the likelier Klutz-damage/to save a mm or two.)
These tinier versions + their adaptors have been around also, since ~Day 1. I have some pairs, plug/jack in a nearby drawer.

Carrion
Sometimes it manifests as ... The Muntz™ Tee Vee of way-back* ... so much like: going-all wireless just 'cause you-sorta-Can.
* Mad Man Muntz liked to cut out various resistors/caps engineered-in, to see how many nickels he could save: if it seemed, just-then, still to be "working". (What about when the vac. tubes 'aged'?)
Illogic/ but via subtraction rather than Here: addition of more xsistor junctions to fail. Gratuitously. Rest case. :-)

Ed: P.S.
Appending Peter's pretty complete list, there's More implicit in this "non-Wired tack".
Timmy-boy's brain-storm is another bad-step kinda like "MP-3" and its variants: mostly Ignoring that part of the phrase of "High-fidelity". (As transistors "replaced" real acoustical Instruments.)

I note the progressive dumbing-down of all the intricacies of achieving the Best-possible music reproduction: since ..the ascent of 'pop-music' featuring thousands of sound-alike 'tunes', so many of which could be derived from a soap-opera jingle: today's equivalent of older-pop-fare with jingles like, A-you're adorable. B-you're so beautiful etc, ad nauseum.
This direction was NOT replacing the work of generations (since pre-stereo) of refining as much of the measurable distortion out of classical/orchestral Reproduction: as could be discovered by the likes of Edgar Villchur, Henry Kloss (of KLH et al) ..not to ignore the Brits and other icons of audio experimentation-to-some-Purpose. Not. even. Trying.

Since transistorized formula-music has gone (like medicine?) for the mass-Profits, [just make-it-LOUD] "fidelity" is not even in the vocabulary now, as so many of the sounds don't exist save for a machine-generator. Timmy-boy's latest evidence of this mindset is perfectly illustrated by the presumption that Blue-tooth is about as 'fidelitous?' a sound quality as any (gear-head?) really 'needs', this Millennium. Imagine-THAT.

Natch: I fucking-Demur. If I want to HEAR the Elgar cello concerto/Jacqueline duPre: It can only happen on the LInn-Sondek LP-12 + associated gear within the chain: not via some Blue- E.-German-Trabant-grade "..tooth" of any other colour. Y'know? THAT-all is assuredly Drumpf-grade devolution q.e.d.

To the Next-'Generation'-if-there-Is-One: Y.P.B.
Expand Edited by Ashton Sept. 20, 2017, 05:56:02 AM EDT
     New Pixel phones on October 4. - (Another Scott) - (47)
         I've seen some amusing butthurt from Fandroids about the TRRS jack - (malraux) - (46)
             I have a different theory - (pwhysall) - (45)
                 The Essential apparently has a solution to this problem. - (Another Scott) - (31)
                     This "thinness über alles!" meme that's infected every IT hardware designer's brain is such utter BS - (CRConrad) - (14)
                         Yeahbut... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                             But, a sharp-edged 1.83kg laptop vs a 2.02 kg rounder one is a wash... Or a win for the heavier one. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Heh. - (pwhysall)
                             Re: Yeahbut... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Boy, you don't understand Mac users - (drook) - (1)
                                     Such cynicism in one so... - (pwhysall)
                         I beat you to that one (IOW Yes, that exactly) - (drook) - (7)
                             Yeah, but I *thought* of it long before that. -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                 Did you think of it before smartphones? - (drook) - (5)
                                     Razr? - (malraux) - (3)
                                         J loved her StarTac flip phone. - (Another Scott)
                                         Yup, Razr - (drook)
                                         I had a keychain phone - (crazy)
                                     Motorola RAZR, 2003. - (pwhysall)
                     Re: The Essential apparently has a solution to this problem. - (pwhysall)
                     Geez, I just noticed this - (drook) - (14)
                         Heh. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                             Too true! - (drook) - (12)
                                 Evolution didn't "design" the headphone jack... - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                     Apple patent blocked Magsafe-like connectors for years - (drook)
                                     *Good* reasons? Do tell. -NT - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                         Heh. You know the reasons. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                             No, I don't. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                 Licensing aside, something like Magsafe - (drook) - (2)
                                                     Yeah, but that's not a thing, is it? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                         You said "better", not "available" - (drook)
                                                 We won't be using 3.5 mm jacks in 50 years. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     Micro-USB is a bad comparison - (drook) - (1)
                                                         Everything in that post is a bad comparison - (pwhysall)
                                     Will second the snark re phrase, "good reasons" ;^> - (Ashton)
                 Waterproofing would have made the jack even bigger. - (malraux) - (12)
                     You must not run - (drook) - (11)
                         Nope. - (malraux) - (7)
                             Just to make sure I understand ... - (drook) - (3)
                                 No. - (malraux) - (2)
                                     Recommendation != opinion - (drook) - (1)
                                         In my opinion, the dongle should suffice. - (malraux)
                             Reviews indicate it's a piece of crap. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 That's another matter for sure. - (malraux)
                                 (Un-believably?) that's an Apple Inc. blog and.. - (Ashton)
                         Here ya go. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             That's called the "Somali Hands-free" in Finland, if you do it with a phone in stead. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Indeed! Breathing is good. -NT - (Another Scott)

Are you scared yet?
153 ms