IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New RIP Jerry Pournelle ... (CRC?)
n.y.t.

For those busily-engaged elsewhere during his zenith:

Dr. Pournelle, whose several degrees included a Ph.D. in political science, worked in the aerospace industry for years and advised the federal government on military matters and space exploration. But science fiction fans knew him as the author of novels like “Janissaries” (1979), about soldiers abducted by space aliens, and “Starswarm” (1998), about a boy being raised on a remote planet by an uncle and a computer program named Gwen, which his dead mother had left behind.

Dr. Pournelle also wrote numerous books with other authors. Larry Niven was a favorite collaborator. Their works included “The Mote in God’s Eye” (1975), an outer-space saga; “Lucifer’s Hammer” (1977), about humanity’s attempt to regroup after a cataclysm; “Inferno” (1976) and “Escape From Hell” (2009), related stories inspired by the hell envisioned by Dante; and “Footfall,” which made it to the top of The New York Times’s paperback best-seller list in May 1986.

A Literary History of Word Processing DEC. 25, 2011
Dr. Pournelle was also known to many through lively columns for Byte magazine in which, beginning early in the home-computing age, he talked about personal computers and the software for them. Much of any given column was about his own experiences at “Chaos Manor” — his name for his home, and for the column — trying out new software products and wrestling with bugs, glitches and viruses.

[. . .]

[er, *cough* for some of us he was also a Noted proponent for a near-magical "contact enhancer", in which a long-chain-polymer proved capable of Reducing Resistance™! between adjacent conductors (where a certain amount of pressure could be exerted..) called Tweek™ ... I had the distict-privilege (and egotistical-pleasure) of handing him his first sample-bottle of the elixir at some sorta -Con in S.F. This in early '85; he promptly elevated it to a Product of the Year. Etc.]
This was a good-enough Heh-du-jour ... but nowhere on Scale of the perfectly-timed encounter with

the then-Unknown Audrey (Hepburn) just a handful of days before: she (The Movie) forever invaded the consciousness of the Charmed-millions. (On her demise I donated the signed Program for the play, Gigi to UNICEF: to auction-off in a fund-raising (as would have pleased the Little Sweetie, also too moi.)

Jeez, all celebrities encountered whenever ..seem to be dying off, lately... harbingers of Doom or of my elevation to Immortality?
Sic Transit (all that which perfectly evades ..becoming carrion, eh?)
New I subscribed to Byte for many years.
Many years ago!

Indeed time flies.

RIP Jerry Pournelle!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Me too
And I learned to "word process" using Wordstar on CP/M. I wrote a column for my computer club newletter and patterned it of off his. Steal from the best.
New I last read a copy in the mid-90s
Just when AMD and Intel were producing the first very fast (superscalar? risc? whatever) desktop CPUs.

(that's what was on the cover of the issue I'm thinking of)

ETA November 1994

EETTAA http://www.vintagefreeware.com/bytecvrs.htm
Expand Edited by pwhysall Sept. 19, 2017, 08:04:56 AM EDT
Expand Edited by pwhysall Sept. 19, 2017, 08:05:57 AM EDT
New I bought from him and his son several programs on 8 inch floppies.
I remember he had a harpsichord in his front room.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Sept. 17, 2017, 09:48:43 PM EDT
New Yea, I noticed (from SoMe-where; Twt, G+...?). Long-time idol of mine...
...but started to feel he was on clay feet as time went on and he became ever more raging loony-right, politically. I read Chaos Manor religiously on paper, in Byte back in the late eighties / early (mid-?)nineties, but only sporadically on the Web since I stumbled over it there some ten or fifteen years ago. Likewise, his fiction went from "Cool, rockets and laser guns!" to ever more "Blast the aliens, rah rah!" Gung-ho, so I stopped following him there too.

But:
* He did write quite a lot of good stuff, both with others but also alone.
* From all I hear — like John Scalzi's farewell(*) — he was a tireless and even-handed champion of SF in general.
* Those old Byte columns were a godsend for many, and quite entertaining — often even in the way intended — for the rest of us. (I graduated from the former category in part thanks to them.)
* But perhaps above all, he tried to make us — mankind — take A Step Farther Out, a goal I whole-heartedly agree with.

---
(*): Ah. One of the last comments, must have been added after I read the page, explains a lot.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New I read him occasionally in Byte.
It wasn't a magazine I bought or read with any regularity, but he was entertaining.

But he always came across as somehow a bit disconnected from the same computing reality I saw. Maybe it was because he was in the US and I was not. On the other hand, without having encountered Pournelle, I would not have discovered the works of Niven who I thought was a rather better story-teller and had some genuinely interesting ideas.

Wade.
     RIP Jerry Pournelle ... (CRC?) - (Ashton) - (6)
         I subscribed to Byte for many years. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Me too - (crazy)
             I last read a copy in the mid-90s - (pwhysall)
         I bought from him and his son several programs on 8 inch floppies. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Yea, I noticed (from SoMe-where; Twt, G+...?). Long-time idol of mine... - (CRConrad)
         I read him occasionally in Byte. - (static)

Our job is to take as much of the beer flavor out of the water as we can without getting a customer revolt.
95 ms