IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Interesting Cassini-Huygens factoid
From a comment on the NYT mission “obituary”:
Like others who have commented, I too was privileged to have worked on one of the components that crashed into Saturn today. This was the tri-partite diffraction grating that was a part of the VIMS-IR spectrometer, assembled by JPL. A machine called a 'ruling engine' was used to construct the grating. That machine was built by Albert Michelson and his colleagues and students at the University of Chicago in about 1910.
Michelson (1852-1931) was the first American to receive the Nobel Prize for Physics. I rather think he’d have been tickled to know the use to which his contrivance was put.

cordially,
New Thanks for that!
Never knew about him outside of Michelson–Morley experiment context.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Belatedly ... some more Synchronicity
re
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Weapons_Station_China_Lake

My room-mate for a time at Mil. Academy/San Diego (One Anthony V. Miller) was the co-pilot of the plane which hit the top of the SFOBayBridge (early '60s.)
(Well.. he was Doing what, always he aimed To Do.)

When I called Alameda Air Station to check: my correct offering that "the V. stood for Verplank" {whod'a ever guessed?} got me a few particulars but mainly confirmed: it Was He.

Forever he was talking about USNOTS (US Naval Ordnance Test Station) at China Lake, where his Father worked.
Same venue, obviously. And I hadn't encountered another general ref. to that spot ... til This.

Time stays. We go.
     Interesting Cassini-Huygens factoid - (rcareaga) - (2)
         Thanks for that! - (a6l6e6x)
         Belatedly ... some more Synchronicity - (Ashton)

Power has been restored.
97 ms