IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New For the sake of the nation, can we please pull the plug on Facebook and Twitter now?
On Tuesday, the leaders of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence said they may haul company execs in front of the committee to explain Facebook’s revelation that “inauthentic accounts” linked to Russia purchased political messenging ads during the 2016 campaign. “Now that we’ve opened up this avenue of social media, it’s of great interest for us to get a full accounting from everyone who operates in the space if in fact foreign money found its way in to finance any of the efforts on social media,” Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), the committee chairman, told the Wall Street Journal. Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) added that he questions “whether Facebook has put near the amount of resources they need into getting us all the facts.”

On September 6, Alex Stamos, Facebook’s chief security officer, revealed in a post that the company had “found approximately $100,000 in ad spending from June of 2015 to May of 2017—associated with roughly 3,000 ads—that was connected to about 470 inauthentic accounts and Pages in violation of our policies.” The company’s analysis “suggests these accounts and Pages were affiliated with one another and likely operated out of Russia.” Facebook has shut down the accounts and “shared our findings with US authorities,” Stamos wrote. But while he said roughly a quarter of the ads were geographically targeted and gave examples of the general subject matter—guns, LGBT issues, etc—Stamos did not reveal where the the ads actually appeared or detail any of their specific content.

Although $100,000 may sound like a lot, The Daily Beast reported that the Russia-linked ads—which it said demonized Hillary Clinton and stirred up controversial election topics such as illegal immigration and Muslim extremism—may have reached up to 70 million people and gotten hundreds of millions of “impressions.” The bogus accounts didn’t just buy ads, the Beast revealed, they also created events pages to organize rallies and urge Americans to protest in the streets.

In a development that jibes with the plot of the latest season of Homeland, a New York Times investigation presented evidence that thousands of fake accounts posing as everyday Americans may have been used to spread anti-Clinton messages on Facebook and also Twitter—a platform that has its own problems with disinformation, as Mother Jones reported in April.

Since the election—if not earlier—it has been clear that Facebook was central to Russia’s efforts to hijack the election. And there have been numerous reports detailing other failings—the rampant use of Facebook as a fake-news platform by profit-seeking Macedonians, for instance, and the company’s tendency to create political echo chambers for legitimate users.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/09/facebook-is-still-hiding-crucial-russia-intel-from-the-public/
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New No.
I organise beer-related activities using Facebook, and I whine to my bank on Twitter.
New If you do, there will be a big vacuum.
The fight to fill that vacuum would be rather horrible.

Wade.
New I wouldn't miss a thing.
The almost only Twitter posts I see are via links from IWeThey.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New well twitter sure, but facebook?
I get instantaneous pics of my grankids without the dubious duty of visting my children besides 100K doesnt even cover the cost of toilet paper for a week at facebook HQ
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New At very least we must employ other technologies ..to determine their fates (and Soon, or Else)
A) While we cannot employ the techniques which have decidedly rendered U.S. Football to be lethal to brains of just about All participants--thus far that requires umm, Dead-persons' Evidence
--we can seek new means for determining physical changes in the direction of --> dumbth? memory-unreliability (and perhaps even Bannon-grade hyper-violence?) amidst the living.
[Not to eliminate though, such solid evidence also found via tests of those brains made available via usual terminal outcomes.]

B) Once forensic evidence of this grade becomes available, perhaps such sociopaths/ solipsists/ Narcissists extant as say, CIEIOs of Facebook-and-clones,
Presidents, Congressional, Judical and similar Authority-figures seen to be malfunctioning..

then...

Just possibly the dis-USA can be put firmly on a course permitting the establishment of Non-lethal-'capitalism' as actually assists the introduction of new concepts like
Democracy, Justice and other Capitalized- concepts such as we foolishly liked to imagine we already possessed.

At this juncture:
we could employ the lovely send-up of Prime Minister ..in the original/Brit House of Cards (starring the irreplaceable Sir Ian Richardson) as we adopt that format and observe that
Sir Ian demonstrated the Anti-Prime 'minister' to such a fare-thee-well that ..well, You Know:
teaching How-Not-to can sometimes be more instructive than How-to, as we have seen in numerous situations.

Make It So.
New Until someone uses How-Not-To as a playbook, and wins ... Bigly
--

Drew
New Ahh.. you mean? As In: "Springtime for Hitler in Germany" cha. cha, cha.
     For the sake of the nation, can we please pull the plug on Facebook and Twitter now? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
         No. - (pwhysall)
         If you do, there will be a big vacuum. - (static)
         I wouldn't miss a thing. - (a6l6e6x)
         well twitter sure, but facebook? - (boxley)
         At very least we must employ other technologies ..to determine their fates (and Soon, or Else) - (Ashton) - (2)
             Until someone uses How-Not-To as a playbook, and wins ... Bigly -NT - (drook) - (1)
                 Ahh.. you mean? As In: "Springtime for Hitler in Germany" cha. cha, cha. -NT - (Ashton)

You sly ol' iconoclast, you...
88 ms