IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New All good points.
Battery life? Can envision, for the occasional long trip: Temp panniers'-with-power such as place that mass low-down ie. Not up around saddle-height! etc. Handling won't be improved with any added weight natch but:
Point of 'long range' seems to be: you don't need the handling finesse of recreational swervery when focussed on er, a 350ish mile trek from A --> B.

I suspect that much still needs sorting-out (perhaps via some sort of partially-slipping clutch during power application ??) so as to mimic the sensibilities already residing in muscle-memory about handling, occasiionally controlled RW-sliding and such (Racers: 2-wheel drifts! but we won't Go there.)

Sound! "We' have yet to begin sorting that out . For the disabled and to alert All: SOUNDlessness KIlls; methinks that -->soon there ought to be some characteristic sound sig for various electrics of any config: loud enough (only externally) to sanely face the issue. Distinct to indicate cycle? car, truck and such.

I cringe whenever encountering a BLOODY-silent Prius, for EX. (Above is to save animals as well, so they can evade yet another feckless human+machine.)
New I assume until there are breakthroughs...
Electric bikes with decent ranges will be variations on something like this:

I remember seeing one of those shortly after they came out. Looks like a great (fair weather) commuting vehicle. But quite spendy in the gas version ($10k in 2013).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Fair weather is the rub.
Not really a goer up here.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Has a conceptual C.G. problem, alas.
(Yes I quite remember the [-]s of the gorgeous Lambretta) scooter-with faired-in gadgetry: tiny wheels, etc.) My first New machine, post- Whizzer moto-bike.
'Decent range' might appear in such designs as above, agreed. But

One needs Large wheels aka (actual dia. != misleading er, Tyre-sizes.
..not to mention the picky geometries of fork rake/trail, axle-height-above-ground + other subtleties.
Simple focus: *You*.. able to move about (occasionally even partly-stand a bit, moving your weight-locus down to foot-pegs
(while you cannot "compress-down"! much!)
plus *Machine static CG* determines the road manners + ballistics. *You* thus alter the ∑CG (and will need to..)

Just observe the commonality of sizes/placements on Any serious expen$ive Racers to note how these shapes converge.
Your pic looks Purty but.. [see above, where the Rubber meets the Road].

I wot that: Language + studies of Newton, basic mech. engineering etc. all have their places, but
Simply, I see no substitute for a course in Lessons-learned at-speed, and on a variety of 'models' as you can lay hands+feet on,
to derive any useful guesstimate of where any next actual-Improvements might lie.

My compressed recipe is ~~ [unlikely to convert anyone]
It's quite non-algorithm-able, this [Problem of Man + Machine] at lethal velocities. e.g.
Can recall a borrowed Velocette small single: execrable power-unit, torque, Noise etc. BUT..
It was light! w/ Lovely frame/suspension design as inspired confidence to try damn-near Anything.
(This you test with Engine Off!, a "coaster race" down say, "O'Shaughnessy Ave in S.F. !?)
No torque available to SYA, y'see? Ya gots only brakes + road-cuth. You can learn Lots. Or drop the plot ez.

{{sigh}} Nope, no magic clean-sheet of Paper I've ever seen: worked first try.
(The awfulness of certain scooter-like devices, esp. in any evasive maneuvers: Experienced! Once ... tells one more than any 'analysis paralysis' can.
Sure, New! and Better incremental designs Will occur next (too) but my overall ∑ View is that
Truly those [++]s come about via ART. Which we must count on for lots of matters, Right?

Vroooom ----> ... but on a New thing? Stay focussed and anticipate {the unExpected}, while wearing leathers, nice helmet/gloves and humility :-)
[Geoff Duke, John Surtees You Ain't]
New Good points.
I dunno enough about all the issues, but that general layout seems to have several examples (including from BMW and Suzuki). They're much bigger than the empty bike looks.

100 mph top speed is plenty.

Presumably being able to stash battery cells almost anywhere would give more flexibility on the CG than having an IC engine. And the people wouldn't have to sit so high if a huge covered carrying capacity wasn't needed.

But it will never handle like something like this...

;-)

An electric version of something like those Honda, Suzuki, or BMW scooters would seem to make a lot of sense for commuting in dense urban areas. A lot more sense than self-driving cars... ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New PS.. re that top pic
Just CAN'T let that color-glossy sit there un-disparaged, y'know? Red-flag..

WRONG is:
Exactly (in height) ---> where this pair-of-butts sit:
-vs-
The C.G. of all the gearhead-bits, way-too-farbelow.. There; you are on STILTS!
Especially-awful with Two-Up. (Passenger if unskilled is dead-weight; cannot even Try to 'help'.)

Needs no words; The pic all-alone suggests well, the Difficulties a pilot Will endure/(or not survive)
with any need for a rapid maneuver.
(And look well at the height! of your boot-soles!) == lowest-point you Can place your body-weight to influence matters, i.e.

Because, also too the wheels are too-Small dia. for rest of chassis {sigh} Cornering demands here, as with a scooter, needs road-clearance == why they had-to place foot-rests ^where^ they did. :-/
You just *Can't!* use your body as you Need-to, to ameliorate [Your + machine's] combined C.G.
(thus to apply physics to S. Y. A.) {{sob}}

Rest case. Racer pic below: illustrates the shape-map for function: just torn-up by Boobus Marketus.

Std. Advertainment-pulchritude fantasy OVER all hard-won authentic-lore to date. Yeah they likely will peddle n of these. I hope to Drumpf voters (as would never notice 'science'.)
Just like glamorous Giant-'Hog' Ad-pix of Harleys, old Indian Chiefs ..with about same %mass given-over to sexy-sheet-metal cosmetic shapes
..as-in Detroit-iron of the days of Insolent/Heavy Chariots -vs- [all aspects of Basic design-physics]

You can get away with that in 4-wheelers.. sorta, but NOT with 2-wheel-equilibrium!
(I'd likely drive one of these around the block. Carefully. I drove a foot-clutch Harley.. Once.)
New ignore, forgot the link
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
Expand Edited by boxley Sept. 11, 2017, 07:08:04 PM EDT
New put a battery in one of these I would be interested
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I don't understand those
They're not motorcycles. They aren't weatherproof. I can't think of a use case that something else isn't a better choice.
--

Drew
New They're 3-wheel go-carts. For adults.
New It is an opening
for those not/no longer comfortable on two wheels but for whom a convertible is too "square".

Trike conversions have existed for a very long time. Having the two wheels up front eliminates the differential problem and the Slingshot opens the market wider by having a steering wheel.
New People still buy 'em.
BAC, Ariel and Caterham (and likely others) have four-wheel cars like that and they seem to be successful.

There was a memorably Top Gear challenge where the hosts got to use some of these cars in daily driving. Except it rained that day. :-)

Wade.
New Highway police bait! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Good points, but...
I envision them being used for commuting on urban interstates, 35 MPH roads, etc.

Not tooling down the PCH or cutting through the Alps on a beautiful summer day.

At least that is what I would use it for. The guy I saw on a red Honda version a few years ago must have been around 70.

Energica EVA electric superbike. 617#, 124 mph top speed, 50-60 mile range when whooping it up, $35k+.

:-/

It's got a ways to go yet. But it's good that people are trying!

Cheers,
Scott.
     Command line history is evil - (crazy) - (58)
         Laziness needs balance. - (static)
         Re: Command line history is evil - (rcsteiner) - (56)
             2007? - (crazy) - (55)
                 2012! - (rcsteiner) - (54)
                     And the award for "Longest Setup for the Least Payoff" goes to ... -NT - (drook) - (53)
                         (chuckle!) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Agreed -NT - (crazy) - (51)
                             But since we're here ... - (drook) - (50)
                                 Nope. - (malraux) - (49)
                                     That's the thing about nostalgia - (drook) - (48)
                                         Yup. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. -NT - (malraux) - (2)
                                             It never is. -NT - (static) - (1)
                                                 It used to be -NT - (drook)
                                         Some of us, of course are quite beyond lures of such wistfulness.. - (Ashton) - (44)
                                             I don't miss kick-starting -NT - (drook) - (43)
                                                 Obligatory... - (Another Scott) - (42)
                                                     *cough* ..you rang? Indeed was I correct in that assessment: - (Ashton) - (38)
                                                         Compression release is for pussies - (drook) - (7)
                                                             I'll bet a bunch of 1-armed barnstormers thought that too. ;-) - (Another Scott)
                                                             Umm.. Me/pussy then - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                 carry some deer whistles in yer pocket for when you encounter priusses - (boxley) - (4)
                                                                     Always glad to hear about clever Lads of any stripe :-) will grab a few, too. - (Ashton)
                                                                     Do deer whistles work? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                         "behavior alteration in response to the whistle (little to none in the majority of cases)" - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                             still.. prolly pretty low-audio-level if car at low speeds :-/ er, more deafening-silence. - (Ashton)
                                                         Thanks for the clip. - (Another Scott) - (29)
                                                             Second the music-diss.. - (Ashton) - (28)
                                                                 The sound doesn't tweak my nostalgia bits -NT - (drook) - (27)
                                                                     Me neither, but it's interesting. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         Et tu, Brute? - (Ashton)
                                                                     Kinda agree re all Vee twins.. - (Ashton) - (24)
                                                                         My friend in Dayton had a bunch of Honda V-twins. - (Another Scott) - (23)
                                                                             Paid little attention to such as these, alas - (Ashton) - (22)
                                                                                 My RD 350 didn't even meet your weight limit - (drook) - (2)
                                                                                     Heh-squared :-) - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                         The 350 was more than enough for a noob - (drook)
                                                                                 Going electric. - (static) - (16)
                                                                                     All good points. - (Ashton) - (13)
                                                                                         I assume until there are breakthroughs... - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                                                             Fair weather is the rub. - (malraux)
                                                                                             Has a conceptual C.G. problem, alas. - (Ashton) - (10)
                                                                                                 Good points. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                                                     PS.. re that top pic - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                                                                         ignore, forgot the link -NT - (boxley)
                                                                                                         put a battery in one of these I would be interested - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                                                             I don't understand those - (drook) - (3)
                                                                                                                 They're 3-wheel go-carts. For adults. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                                 It is an opening - (scoenye)
                                                                                                                 People still buy 'em. - (static)
                                                                                                             Highway police bait! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                                                         Good points, but... - (Another Scott)
                                                                                     Tesla isn't just focused on cars - (drook) - (1)
                                                                                         And home power, etc., etc. - (Another Scott)
                                                                                 Some are trying, though :-) - (scoenye) - (1)
                                                                                     That's nuts! Wow. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     How to do it right. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                         Of course he has a dial telephone. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                             Calls to ask for heat insulation for the exhaust pipe on the Viper bike on said phone... - (CRConrad)

Follow the gourd!
152 ms