IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Please do NOT buy this book.
(CNN)Hillary Clinton casts Bernie Sanders as an unrealistic over-promiser in her new book, according to excerpts posted by a group of Clinton supporters.

She said that his attacks against her during the primary caused "lasting damage" and paved the way for "(Donald) Trump's 'Crooked Hillary' campaign."

Clinton, in a book that will be released September 12 entitled "What Happened," said Sanders "had to resort to innuendo and impugning my character" because the two Democrats "agreed on so much."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-what-happened/index.html

I seriously do not understand why anyone would buy this book. You already know what's in it. "It wasn't my fault. It was Bernie's. It was Obama's. It was the Russians. But not me. No, never me." Good Christ, isn't it time she went quietly into that good night? I mean, if I had lost an election to Donald John Drumpf, the last thing I'd ever want to do is remind anyone of it.

Please, just say no to this book.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New heh.

Too late, I ordered it a week or more ago. I expect it will be a huge best-seller.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Oh, $DEITY. It's even worse than I imagined.
A book where a Facebook post is quoted as, apparently, some sort of rationalization explanation of her incompetence in running a campaign against the worst of the worst of human beings sufficiently bad enough for her to actually lose. It's turtles all the way down.
bcnu,
Mikem

New If Hillary had charisma
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Sept. 5, 2017, 06:28:47 PM EDT
New It's the unconscionable lies about what Bernie promoted that troubled me. And they're repeated here.
"Free junior and senior college tuition for families earning under 125K per year." That isn't "pie in the sky" like she and her supporting cast of troglodytes maintain. It was what *I HAD* in 1977. If it's impossible now, in the richest country in the world, how in piss did the same country pull it off in 1977? Hell, his position on that is a compromise FFS. There was no cap on family incomes back when I took advantage of free tuition. You know *why* she said that's "pie in the sky"? Because unlike 1977, her criminal friends on Wall Street make BILLIONS of dollars lending money to students and by damn, she's not going to lift a finger to take that away. Not when she gets 225K/hour to talk to her criminal pals, she isn't.

She needs to GO THE FUCK AWAY before she destroys what's left of the Democratic Party. This book doesn't help. Quoting moronic Facebook posts does not help. Embracing the Democratic Party's principles that made the Democratic Party great will help. For clarity, that'd be the principles of the Democratic Party she and her husband damaged severely or destroyed outright.
bcnu,
Mikem

New The butt-hurt is amazing.
She's not running for anything. Calm down. ;-)

You might want to consider that things are very different now than they were when you (or I) were in College.

Martin works for one of the University systems in California:

Martin says:

February 27, 2017 at 3:21 pm

@schrodingers_cat: Yeah. The challenge with something like free college is that we don’t treat higher education as a fungible commodity. We recognize (usually wrongly, but not always) that Harvard is great, and UC San Diego is very good, and Bowling Green is decent, and Cal State Chico is okay, even when studying the same degree. Now, nobody has EVER measured whether students learn more or come out better prepared among those institutions. For all we know Chico has the best educational attainment of them all.

So, if we make them free, how do we decide who goes to each? I will tell everyone straight up that nobody admits students the way that you think we do. We turn down quantitatively better students for quantitatively worse ones and do it on a large scale. It’s blindingly obvious if you’ve ever read admissions files (10s of thousands in my case) that the economic circumstances that a child grows up in has a massive impact on their readiness for college. A so-called ‘meritocracy’ for college admission would push the rich kids to the top and the poor kids to the bottom on a scale that you don’t see in any other public arena. Assuming that free college increased the number of students applying (which is daunting as most of the UC campuses each get 100K apps per year just at the undergrad level) then that stratification would only get worse. One equalizing factor now is that we can scholarship up the poor kids to make our public university more attractive than it is to the rich kids who will need to pay. We’d lose that important lever to providing access to as broad a cross-section of the state as possible.

Now, the solution to this is to increase supply, but in California that would mean adding somewhere in the neighborhood of a million seats to the higher ed systems to meet qualified demand. I’m cool with that – but that’s 30 major universities, and they don’t get built quickly, and they don’t get built inexpensively.

There’s a lot of really difficult challenges with doing this that I think are worth tackling, but they can’t get glossed over. They really matter a lot. If you don’t do the expansion, I guarantee that minority and first generation access to college will be gutted with a free college plan. The group you’re most trying to help gets locked out. Perez realizes this and went down the means testing route, which is one way to address the problem, just not the one that young people want. They want the massive build-out by taxing us old rich people. I’m fine with that approach, but someone in the Democratic party needs to package that and sell it, and nobody is.

So what does Bernie do to address the all-too-real problem that Martin brings up?

As usual, Bernie had a good slogan, but he has no understanding of how the world actually works so what he says he wants can never happen the way he says it must. So he plays Purity Man and snipes from the sidelines when nobody whose support he needs joins him.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yep, they're certainly different all right.
Delta 1: Top Income Tax Rate

Married Filing Jointly: 70.0% over 203,200

Married Filing Jointly: 39.6% over 440,876

https://taxfoundation.org/us-federal-individual-income-tax-rates-history-1913-2013-nominal-and-inflation-adjusted-brackets/

Delta 2: John Sperling opens University of Phoenix in 1976
Percentage of students in for-profit universities
Early 1970's: 0.2%
2012: 12%

http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/tomorrows-college/phoenix/history-of-for-profit-higher-education.html

Delta 3: Unions destroyed.
No unions = free reign on wage savagery. Combined with "for-profit" education and the shareholders who must be paid, we get the below.

We don't fix any of that crap "incrementally."
bcnu,
Mikem

New And yet Hillary had a workable plan to do just that. Woulda been great, huh.
New By continuing to pay the banksters?
bcnu,
Mikem

New You know she answered that, in detail, months ago...
New Like I said ...
Borrowers will be able to refinance loans at current rates, providing debt relief to an estimated 25 million people. They’ll never have to pay back more than 10 percent of their income, and all remaining college debt will be forgiven after 20 years.

Continue to pay the banksters, IOW.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Please don't misunderstand me. We want the same thing. We want Drumpf defeated.
I'm warning (again) that resurrecting Hillary from the dustbin of history and continuing to parrot her self-serving, "I would have won PA, WI, OH and MI had it not been for that bastard Bernie, his misogynistic supporters and all the permanent damage he did to me" is doing nothing other than recreating the type of divisiveness in the Democratic Party that gave us Drumpf the first time.

Proceed at your own (and my and everyone else's) peril. If we learned anything from 2016, it should be that the people who are naturally Democrats will not support a status quo apologist for Wall Street anymore. Those kind have no winning message and we should send them all (her included) into the woods to live out their days in the largess they "earned" from their contributions to the welfare of the residents of Manhattan.
bcnu,
Mikem

New She lost because of Comey. Bernie had been a non-factor for months.
New I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about the almost half of Democratic voters who supported him.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Why not wait and read the book before making so many assumptions about it?
New She's got enough Wall Street money. She doesn't need mine. ;0)
Plus, it's well past time for the Democratic Party to move back to the Left from the Clinton/Obama era. She doesn't have anything of consequence to say.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Except that she got millions of more votes than Bernie or Donnie. Yeah, she's a nobody....
New And lost. I'm telling you, listening to her is going to result in a Trump re-election.
bcnu,
Mikem

New She's.Not.Running.Again.
Trump is the enemy.

The next election is in about 61 days. How is beating up on Hillary (still) helping to defeat the Teabaggers this November?

Priorities, man!

;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New That.Doesnt.Mean.She.Cant.Influence.The.DNC.And.Set.The.Tone.Of.The.Next.Primary.
Agreed on the enemy, though. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

New (sigh)
What should she do to make you happy? If she's such a Corrupt™ Lying Liar then there really isn't anything she could do, is there?

>;-p

Trump's destroying the country, the national government, and literally risking the lives of millions of people here and all over the world, and you're spending days yelling about a memoir she wrote.

:-/

Yes, we agree Trump is the enemy.

I (seriously) wish we agreed more on effective ways to fight him. You'll never convince me that beating up on Hillary and the DNC is the way forward. But, we've been through that before too...

Cheers,
Scott.
New There is something she could do.
She could go quietly into that good night. How is re-hashing the 2016 debacle in a light most positive for her going to help us defeat Trump? To the extent that you and I can find common ground over the 2016 election, I believe we'd agree that for the general, the Democratic Party was split, that there was far too much rancor between the supporters of the two running for the Democratic nomination and that rancor carried into the general and caused a catastrophe to occur. We know all that. There is no good to be gained from reliving it and I say if Hillary really wanted to help the next Democratic candidate defeat Trump, she wouldn't rekindle that rancor among the Democratic troops by making statements in a memoir like, "I don't know if it bothered Bernie or not ...", "Some of his supporters, the so-called Bernie Bros [note: a fiction invented by her campaign], took to harassing my supporters online. It got ugly and more than a little sexist", "...his attacks caused lasting damage, making it harder to unify progressives in the general election and paving the way for Trump's 'Crooked Hillary' campaign."

How does that help re-unify the Democratic Party? It doesn't. The continued vilification of nearly 1/2 of all Democratic Party primary voters is not a winning strategy to defeat Trump. Rather than continue to attempt to divide the Democratic Party, she should just STFU. She is, after all, the one that lost to Trump in the first place.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Read more carefully. "Some".
New Conceding the point that her book is unhelpful? If so, great.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Good $DEITY, Bill.
Linking the Washington Times *AND* the Sun?

I thought better of you.
bcnu,
Mikem

New You did? Still? Why?
New I'm sure I could get you a free-subscription to 'Human Events', Bill
by invoking My Gramma's name in their records, say.

They might even send along their most popular welcoming gift: the decorative hand-crafted small-Urn of Hemlock.
(A handy sprinkle ..on cocktails of unBelievers, met en passant :-)

Perhaps that will complete your Major-sources library? ('less'n you already Gots that.)

er, ;^>
New naw, ya gotta remember the wild carrot stalks are not fuzzy
altho shroom identification is a little harder
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I'm beginning to think charisma sucks.
Yeah, sure, charisma gets politicians elected... Exactly the kind of politicians you later find out you shouldn't have elected.

Maybe charisma is a trait that goes hand-in-hand with wanting to get to power, as in that old saying most often ascribed to... Ben Franklin, I guess.

(What, me stirring up old news? Yeah, can't recall if I watched the video back then; gone now, anyway.)
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Anybody who wants to be in charge should not be in charge
At least as part of a political system.
New Yup, that's the one I meant.
"Any man who desires the office of President...", or however it went. Maybe that desire is correlated with what we call "charisma"; maybe what people sense is the... "drive", or whatchamacallit? Definitey, of course, correlated with the kind of fake "charisma" that is intentionally acquired and rehearsed for that exact purpose.

And if the desire is half-subconscious, how often does that (semi-?)fake "charisma" come off as genuine even to us who consider ourselves world-wise cynics who of course easily see through shit like that? Maybe more often than we'd like to think...
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Douglas Adams basically said that.
The whole point of the President of the Galaxy in The HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy was to be a flamboyant figurehead with no power. He explicitly said so in the text. Several times.

Terry Pratchett also explored it in various ways in his Discworld novels, although much less obviously.

Wade.
New Unrealistic over promising is how you build . . .
. . a cult following - like Bernie or Trump.

Bernie never did express a plan to come through with his promises.
New See above. Keep the myth alive. But don't come crying when Drumpf wins re-election.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Thought experiment
I live on an island. There's enough local produce and fishing to survive (barely).

The island used to be the tip of a peninsula, but the causeway has been washed out and is now patrolled by sharks.

We agree that there's far more resources on the mainland. But in order to take advantage, I need to get there.

Bernie was talking about the great food on the mainland. Hillary was talking about building a boat.
--

Drew
New Nope.
She was talking about how the sharks weren't really that bad and how we couldn't do anything about them anyway, so the best course was to feed them and hope they'd let a few of us swim to the mainland because we fed them and they wouldn't be so hungry.

Bernie was saying, "Let's kill the sharks."
bcnu,
Mikem

New Bernie's "let us" was just him. Nobody he needed would join him. Real life is a cruel mistress...
New And yet ...
bcnu,
Mikem

New And yet...
Hillary beat him.

Imagine that.

Bernie has one co-sponsor (so far) for his latest "single-payer" bill (Kamala Harris). Do you think he'll break double-digits this time?

Popularity means nothing if you can't win votes.

Repealing Obamacare was (nearly) universally popular with Republicans until the votes actually mattered. Then, suddenly, they couldn't pass a bill.

Funny, that.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: And yet...
One could argue that the playing field presented by the DNC was not a fair one.
--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
New Zooks! Howdy stranger!
Fancy seeing you here.

Welcome back!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Zooks! Howdy stranger!
Danke. I found a bookmark and wandered back. May stay a while this time. :-)

I'm glad this place still exists!
--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
New Dang. Should have made the bet.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Snooze you lose. ;-) (Still no Summary text on Congress.gov)
New Yabut it's better than Conyers' bill, right? ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

New she is entitled to make a buck, now I was listening to something the other day and a name popped up
Stephanopolis. Now is he far enough removed so the clinton stank has washed off? He would sell against trump. Interesting the day after his name came up Trump started calling him little Georgie. He may be wondering as well.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     Please do NOT buy this book. - (mmoffitt) - (46)
         heh. - (Another Scott) - (31)
             Oh, $DEITY. It's even worse than I imagined. - (mmoffitt) - (30)
                 If Hillary had charisma - (drook) - (29)
                     It's the unconscionable lies about what Bernie promoted that troubled me. And they're repeated here. - (mmoffitt) - (24)
                         The butt-hurt is amazing. - (Another Scott) - (23)
                             Yep, they're certainly different all right. - (mmoffitt) - (22)
                                 And yet Hillary had a workable plan to do just that. Woulda been great, huh. -NT - (Another Scott) - (21)
                                     By continuing to pay the banksters? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                                         You know she answered that, in detail, months ago... - (Another Scott) - (19)
                                             Like I said ... - (mmoffitt)
                                             Please don't misunderstand me. We want the same thing. We want Drumpf defeated. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                                                 She lost because of Comey. Bernie had been a non-factor for months. -NT - (Another Scott) - (16)
                                                     I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about the almost half of Democratic voters who supported him. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                                                         Why not wait and read the book before making so many assumptions about it? -NT - (Another Scott) - (14)
                                                             She's got enough Wall Street money. She doesn't need mine. ;0) - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                                                                 Except that she got millions of more votes than Bernie or Donnie. Yeah, she's a nobody.... -NT - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                                     And lost. I'm telling you, listening to her is going to result in a Trump re-election. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                                                         She's.Not.Running.Again. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                                                                             That.Doesnt.Mean.She.Cant.Influence.The.DNC.And.Set.The.Tone.Of.The.Next.Primary. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                                                 (sigh) - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                                                                     There is something she could do. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                         Read more carefully. "Some". -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                             Conceding the point that her book is unhelpful? If so, great. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                     millions? really? here is how you can help - (boxley) - (4)
                                                                                         Good $DEITY, Bill. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                             You did? Still? Why? -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                                                         I'm sure I could get you a free-subscription to 'Human Events', Bill - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                             naw, ya gotta remember the wild carrot stalks are not fuzzy - (boxley)
                     I'm beginning to think charisma sucks. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                         Anybody who wants to be in charge should not be in charge - (crazy) - (2)
                             Yup, that's the one I meant. - (CRConrad)
                             Douglas Adams basically said that. - (static)
         Unrealistic over promising is how you build . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
             See above. Keep the myth alive. But don't come crying when Drumpf wins re-election. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                 Thought experiment - (drook) - (10)
                     Nope. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                         Bernie's "let us" was just him. Nobody he needed would join him. Real life is a cruel mistress... -NT - (Another Scott) - (8)
                             And yet ... - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                 And yet... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                     Re: And yet... - (rcsteiner) - (2)
                                         Zooks! Howdy stranger! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             Re: Zooks! Howdy stranger! - (rcsteiner)
                                     Dang. Should have made the bet. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         Snooze you lose. ;-) (Still no Summary text on Congress.gov) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             Yabut it's better than Conyers' bill, right? ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
         she is entitled to make a buck, now I was listening to something the other day and a name popped up - (boxley)

The Pot Calling the Kettle Dayglo Orange.
290 ms