IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Best SIM/Plan to buy for a 2 week trip to the UK?
I think I want to buy a Micro-Sim for my Nexus 4 here for my trip to the UK. I say "think" because I'm open to the idea of purchasing a burner phone over there if that's a better thing to do. Mainly want cellular Internet access (i.e. not having to rely on wifi all the time).

Any clues appreciated.

TIA.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New You probably can't get a phone without a local bank account.
I don't think you can buy a phone and service over there - it's to prevent people doing various illegal things, I think. :-/

I tried to be clever in 2013 or so for a trip to Europe that J took with my Nexus 4. I got a TruPhone SIM that supposedly is automagically re-programmable when you cross country boundaries. It sounded like the perfect solution. I got it working here (kinda OK - the coverage was spotty) so I felt OK passing the phone off to her before she left.

It never worked right for her - she never got any service in Amsterdam (which supposedly was covered). (Dunno if it's better now.)

The last time I was over there (our Austria trip, I think) with the Nexus 4 I bought a SIM at a manned kiosk at the airport. I bought extra data to go with it too.

The data was eaten up by the end of the day without me intentionally doing anything with the phone.

:-/

So, I dunno. Maybe it's better in the UK. Everything I read before hand indicated it is a solvable problem to buy and use a SIM overseas.

If you want something that actually works, it probably makes sense to bite the bullet for the US-International coverage for the two weeks. Peace of mind is worth a lot, IMO.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Best SIM/Plan to buy for a 2 week trip to the UK? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
         You probably can't get a phone without a local bank account. - (Another Scott)

It's watching you from across the way...
64 ms