IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One of the authors I worked with called herself the Queen of Unnecessary Capitalization
--

Drew
New I do that too. I blame it on taking German as a foreign language...
New Didn't take German, but . . .
I use a lot of capitalization to emphasize important words in a paragraph, especially in recipes. As for hyphenation, I do it how I want, and English teachers will just have to live with it.
New I do it with quotes
If I'm quoting a single word at the end of a sentence, the period (or question mark, etc) goes outside the quotes. I understand it's done this way in some other English-speaking countries.

I'll also put the period/question mark outside the quotes if it's not logically related to the quote.

Eg:
Can you say with a straight face, "Trump is a competent president"?
The quoted part is not a question. The question is about the quoted part.
--

Drew
New Dunno when it was that modrin-Muricans morphed into eschewing Capitalization..
All I Know is that: those early-Americans we are so fond of quoting: used Caps pretty much as you describe. As do I.

But what do I Know!?

[Caps saves n keystrokes/merely for italics within the antediluvian interfaces, up with which we must put ..even in 2017 er, qed]
     Corpus Christi looks like it's getting hammered. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
         Fingers crossed that it's not as horrible as it might be... - (Another Scott) - (17)
             What's wrong with "They're talking about 3 feet of rain"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (16)
                 Phrasing... - (Another Scott) - (15)
                     Hard to comprehend - (drook) - (1)
                         I'm having a hard time picturing 5" of rain, never mind 50". -NT - (static)
                     No, I meant: What's that freaking hyphen doing there? -NT - (CRConrad) - (12)
                         It's another illustration of my weird typing skills. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             "I have a 6-foot ladder" -NT - (drook) - (8)
                                 Re: "I have a 6-foot ladder" - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                     My example was a compound modifier, yours was just wrong :-P - (drook) - (6)
                                         I used to subscribe to Car and Driver magazine... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                             One of the authors I worked with called herself the Queen of Unnecessary Capitalization -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                                 I do that too. I blame it on taking German as a foreign language... -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                     Didn't take German, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                         I do it with quotes - (drook)
                                                         Dunno when it was that modrin-Muricans morphed into eschewing Capitalization.. - (Ashton)
                             No it isn't. In "there's a 3-ft sinkhole" it is, but in "the water is 3 ft deep" it's separate words - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 I blame Twitter and Autocorrect. They're always responsible. ;-) - (Another Scott)
         Corpus Christi missed the very worst of it. - (a6l6e6x)
         Current Baddest-datum seems: "highest August precipitable water levels" (evah??) - (Ashton)

And if you do find me there, you won't be able to afford me.
90 ms