IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My example was a compound modifier, yours was just wrong :-P
But it looked the same as mine. I frequently make that same typo and have to catch it on a second read.
--

Drew
New I used to subscribe to Car and Driver magazine...
At least one of the writers there used to have fun with compound adjectives with 15 hyphens between them... Probably helped me forget the rules.

Cheers,
Scott.
New One of the authors I worked with called herself the Queen of Unnecessary Capitalization
--

Drew
New I do that too. I blame it on taking German as a foreign language...
New Didn't take German, but . . .
I use a lot of capitalization to emphasize important words in a paragraph, especially in recipes. As for hyphenation, I do it how I want, and English teachers will just have to live with it.
New I do it with quotes
If I'm quoting a single word at the end of a sentence, the period (or question mark, etc) goes outside the quotes. I understand it's done this way in some other English-speaking countries.

I'll also put the period/question mark outside the quotes if it's not logically related to the quote.

Eg:
Can you say with a straight face, "Trump is a competent president"?
The quoted part is not a question. The question is about the quoted part.
--

Drew
New Dunno when it was that modrin-Muricans morphed into eschewing Capitalization..
All I Know is that: those early-Americans we are so fond of quoting: used Caps pretty much as you describe. As do I.

But what do I Know!?

[Caps saves n keystrokes/merely for italics within the antediluvian interfaces, up with which we must put ..even in 2017 er, qed]
     Corpus Christi looks like it's getting hammered. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
         Fingers crossed that it's not as horrible as it might be... - (Another Scott) - (17)
             What's wrong with "They're talking about 3 feet of rain"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (16)
                 Phrasing... - (Another Scott) - (15)
                     Hard to comprehend - (drook) - (1)
                         I'm having a hard time picturing 5" of rain, never mind 50". -NT - (static)
                     No, I meant: What's that freaking hyphen doing there? -NT - (CRConrad) - (12)
                         It's another illustration of my weird typing skills. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             "I have a 6-foot ladder" -NT - (drook) - (8)
                                 Re: "I have a 6-foot ladder" - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                     My example was a compound modifier, yours was just wrong :-P - (drook) - (6)
                                         I used to subscribe to Car and Driver magazine... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                             One of the authors I worked with called herself the Queen of Unnecessary Capitalization -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                                 I do that too. I blame it on taking German as a foreign language... -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                     Didn't take German, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                         I do it with quotes - (drook)
                                                         Dunno when it was that modrin-Muricans morphed into eschewing Capitalization.. - (Ashton)
                             No it isn't. In "there's a 3-ft sinkhole" it is, but in "the water is 3 ft deep" it's separate words - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 I blame Twitter and Autocorrect. They're always responsible. ;-) - (Another Scott)
         Corpus Christi missed the very worst of it. - (a6l6e6x)
         Current Baddest-datum seems: "highest August precipitable water levels" (evah??) - (Ashton)

As diplomatic as an Italian politician...
75 ms