IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Totality in Russellville, KY
We were scheduled to go to Carbondale to see it in Saluki Stadium (that picture going around with all the people in a stadium was taken there), but a check of the weather the night before caused us to change our plans to Cerulean, KY. Up at 3am, another check of the weather sent us further east to Russellville, KY, instead, a 4 hour trip. We arrived a Logan County Library for free parking at 7:30am, grabbed a patch of grass, and settled in to wait.

I agree with everything Alex and Rand said, but even more so. The 1 minute lead-in to totality is an overwhelmingly surreal experience. The approaching shadow looming to the West, the breeze picking up, the cicadas stopping (which no one noticed until they fired up again when the Sun came back), the shadow diffractions on a piece of paper (nearly impossible to photograph, apparently, and the photos I've seen don't do them justice), then the disappearance of the Sun in one's eclipse glasses and the surrounding gasps of amazement and awe as everyone rips them off. Photos don't remotely capture the event: the human eye + brain is a much better camera than anything you can buy.

We're already planning for the next one. My advice: this is going to be April. Get a few staging hotel rooms scattered along the length of the shadow and pick one the day before. Use that as a base for the next day and just drive where the weather is going to be. Bring an awning, chairs, water, food, and games, and get there early. If you're lucky you can make it back to the hotel before the traffic gets insane (a co-worker spent 4.5 hours going 120 miles from Carbondale). Then spend the next day leisurely traveling back home (we stopped at the prehistoric Indian mounds in Anderson, IN).
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: Totality in Russellville, KY
I was driving home from a conference in New Orleans to Chicagoland. Stayed the night in Evansville, IN. I had to catch a 7:50 am flight on Tuesday morning...And drive the rest of the way from Carbondale to Naperville. If I didn't have that flight to catch, I probably would have headed closer to Hopkinsville, KY instead of Carbondale. But, oh well. By the time the 2024 eclipse comes around, I plan to be back in Austin, where just a couple hours drive away, I can find 4 minutes and 25 seconds of totality.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New How was the drive to Napersville?
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Including a few stops along the way, about 8 hours.
There were cops at local intersections up to 15 miles away, directing traffic. I-57 was a complete mess, and it took quite a while to cut over from I-57 to I-55.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
     Totality in Corvallis - (rcareaga) - (12)
         80% was disappointing -NT - (drook) - (7)
             Had I stayed home it would have seen 99%. - (a6l6e6x)
             We enjoyed it. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Come to Indiana in 7 years. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                     It is appealing! -NT - (Another Scott)
                     It's hitting Cleveland dead-on - (drook) - (2)
                         Thanks. Might have to head to Upper Sandusky (an hour away) for 3 min 54 secs. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         Might be a good time to get one of these. - (mmoffitt)
         Totality in Russellville, KY - (malraux) - (3)
             Re: Totality in Russellville, KY - (mvitale) - (2)
                 How was the drive to Napersville? -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                     Including a few stops along the way, about 8 hours. - (mvitale)

But I can't help but think that one of his primary functions is to serve as a warning to others.
40 ms