IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 80% was disappointing
--

Drew
New Had I stayed home it would have seen 99%.
But with the totality band only 90 or so miles away, you know I'd be there. Yesterday, the wife and I took our motor home to Clinton, (yes, Clinton! :)) SC and parked overnight at a Pilot truck stop. Took a couple hours to get there and closer to 4 hours to get back home today. Totally worth it! Even with just binoculars, the corona was awesome!

To borrow a phrase from Mark Twain (but in another context) the difference of seeing a partial eclipse and a total eclipse is like the difference of seeing a lightning bug and seeing lightning.

It's the second total eclipse for me. For the first one on July 10, 1972, I drove the family over 700 miles from Upstate NY to Cap-Chat, Quebec. That's on the Gaspe peninsula where English is not a known language. It was overcast so you knew where the sun was, but you could not clearly see it. The most impressive thing was seeing the moon shadow wave blacking out the clouds at great speed. Clouds of mosquitoes came out of nowhere to feast on us.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Aug. 21, 2017, 11:28:30 PM EDT
New We enjoyed it.
A nice break during the day, the quality of the light changed noticeably (like looking through sunglasses), and the crescents in the light in the shadows were interesting, but you had to know how to look for them.

E.g.

More

But it's nothing like totality (which I hope to see some day).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Come to Indiana in 7 years.
About 5 miles south of where I'm currently working, to be exact. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New It is appealing!
New It's hitting Cleveland dead-on
--

Drew
New Thanks. Might have to head to Upper Sandusky (an hour away) for 3 min 54 secs.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
     Totality in Corvallis - (rcareaga) - (12)
         80% was disappointing -NT - (drook) - (7)
             Had I stayed home it would have seen 99%. - (a6l6e6x)
             We enjoyed it. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Come to Indiana in 7 years. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                     It is appealing! -NT - (Another Scott)
                     It's hitting Cleveland dead-on - (drook) - (2)
                         Thanks. Might have to head to Upper Sandusky (an hour away) for 3 min 54 secs. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         Might be a good time to get one of these. - (mmoffitt)
         Totality in Russellville, KY - (malraux) - (3)
             Re: Totality in Russellville, KY - (mvitale) - (2)
                 How was the drive to Napersville? -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                     Including a few stops along the way, about 8 hours. - (mvitale)

7.8 on the Richter scale.
76 ms