IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I don't really disagree with that.
The North opposed expanding slavery, while the South went to war to do so.

Yes, the North objected to slavery and the South wanted it continued. But both held their respective positions exclusively out of a concern for wealth; who got it and where. Just like all other wars, that war was about wealth, power and territory. This is not to be misread as some sort of white-washing of slavery. I'm merely pointing out the true motivation for the war.

And even this is overly simplistic. For instance, in writing about a book he recommends, "Slaves Without Masters: The Free Negro in the Antebellum South" by Ira Berlin, Henry Louis Gates, Jr. writes:
Here’s where the monolith falls apart, however. As critical as Berlin’s findings about the North and South was his revelation that the South really consisted of “two Souths”: an Upper and a Lower, distinguished, among other things, by their histories, geographies and outlooks.

The Upper South (think Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina and later Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee and D.C.) had been marked by its earlier history of manumission following the Revolution; it also had a more negative outlook about slavery’s future as a result of its increasingly inhospitable soil (for more on this, see Amazing Fact, “What Was the Second Middle Passage?”).

The Lower South (think Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South, Carolina and Texas), by contrast, had never embraced manumission fever, and because there was still so much money to be made off the cotton trade (see Amazing Fact, “Why Was Cotton King?”), it never wavered in its commitment to the slave economy.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/free-blacks-lived-in-the-north-right/

I've never read Berlin's book, but upon reading Gates, I'm inclined to pick it up.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Ah. Not a White Supremacist then, only a Confederate Apologist. (Hyuuuuge difference.)
New Yet another miss.
bcnu,
Mikem

New So it's just coincidence that you're pushing their arguments, word-for-word exactly? Yeah, riight...
New Reference? Links? Never mind. Check the other forum for reply.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Now THAT conflation smacks mightily of
..that which you Despise in the BOx's oft-meandering fulminations. I deem ^this^ smack-dab amidst that level of (misplaced) puffery.

It's just simple-defamation. Pity.
Do better or ... turn in your epaulets.
New he can, but if you look at the time stamp he hadnt had his bran muffin yet
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     Car (apparently) deliberately plows into anti-fascist rally at Charlottesville. - (Another Scott) - (28)
         The driver is in custody. - (malraux) - (1)
             yeah, bet he is crying for his rights about now -NT - (boxley)
         Nah, what he did was to blame the victims just as much as the Nazi terrorists. - (CRConrad) - (3)
             It's looking as if his (twice-repeated "from all sources") Weasel-phrase has galvanized ..lots. - (Ashton)
             And with his and his family's history, this surprises whom? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 And you didn't even mention the full page ad in 4 newpapers he paid for. - (a6l6e6x)
         And, Drumpf doubles-down. - (mmoffitt) - (21)
             "And Lee is just like Washington and Jefferson." - (Another Scott) - (20)
                 WRT White Supremacy, he almost has a point. - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                     He wasn't talking about historical figures -NT - (drook)
                     For me, it's not whether the US was founded on slavery. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                         I understand your POV and do not object to it. - (mmoffitt) - (16)
                             Who (other than you) is saying it's a Northerners/Southerners thing? -NT - (drook) - (15)
                                 I'm sorry. That statues aren't of Southern Generals? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                                     Find me a statue of a northern general who fought to defend slavery - (drook) - (13)
                                         I know it's not what we like to say in polite company, but, ... - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                             No - (drook) - (11)
                                                 Read Foote's volumes and get back with me. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                                     (sigh) - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                         Slaves were the key to the wealth of the South. HTH. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                             Whatever the reason... - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                                 I don't really disagree with that. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                                     Ah. Not a White Supremacist then, only a Confederate Apologist. (Hyuuuuge difference.) -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                                         Yet another miss. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                             So it's just coincidence that you're pushing their arguments, word-for-word exactly? Yeah, riight... -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                                 Reference? Links? Never mind. Check the other forum for reply. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                         Now THAT conflation smacks mightily of - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                             he can, but if you look at the time stamp he hadnt had his bran muffin yet -NT - (boxley)

Why can't I own Canadians?
80 ms