IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Every town and village in the UK has a war memorial
Even tiny little hamlets: https://goo.gl/maps/3DZmroikJn82

There are some 68,000 war memorials in the UK, ranging from simple plaques to grandiose monuments.

They are not about celebrating victory; they are about remembering the fallen.

I don't know if Armistice Day (November 11th) is a thing in the US, but here it's a sombre, reflective day, with a widely-observed minute's silence at 11AM. We don't celebrate VE Day.
New Aussie ones are about remembering the fallen, too.
New We've got those, too
Typically they list all those who died in all conflicts. It's the monuments to specific generals or one particular war that I'm thinking about.
--

Drew
New The clear intent of the things here can be inferred from the timing.
Yes, 11/11 is an important thing here, too. These things are different.

These Confederate statues are all about imposing and reinforcing white supremacy.

D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" (which Woodrow Wilson screened at the White House and (IIRC) thought was a documentary) came out in 1915.

(via Kevin Drum)

Cheers,
Scott.
New That Drum link: yes, that
--

Drew
New Indeed, graph needs words; Drum has them.
New curious, have you actually seen "birth of a nation"?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Yup. Saw it in class in HS.
     Monumental frolic - (rcareaga) - (68)
         Think you included the wrong linky - (drook) - (7)
             Thanks; fixed - (rcareaga) - (4)
                 Hadn't thought of that - (drook) - (3)
                     Is there any place on earth where the victors didn't destroy the symbols of the conquered? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         Other than the entire southern U.S. you mean? - (drook) - (1)
                             You mentioned it below, but the Vietnam War Memorial is an obvious example. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             I think those ones in the middle east are a different basket. - (static) - (1)
                 Yeah, I've figured out my intuition - (drook)
         My thoughts. - (mmoffitt) - (56)
             Do they have monuments to those who died in wars they lost? - (drook) - (55)
                 I heard a report on NPR that the cops are looking for the perps, and intend to charge them. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (38)
                     They should handle it the way they did Bree Newsome. - (Another Scott) - (37)
                         "Toxic" is a bit strong. - (mmoffitt) - (36)
                             Malice? Or civil disobedience? - (drook) - (5)
                                 Really? Amendment 13 much? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                     I was thinking more 1960s than 1790s - (drook) - (3)
                                         The relative effectiveness of changing a "wrong" law vs breaking the law. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                             Did the law get changed before or after a war was fought? - (drook) - (1)
                                                 So, changing the law works? Or it doesn't (as you previously stated)? I'm confused. And tired. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             Not really. - (Another Scott) - (29)
                                 Eh. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                     Three-for-three - (drook) - (21)
                                         Move to strike. Incoherent. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                                             OK, I'm done -NT - (drook)
                                             Only to you - (crazy)
                                             "Incoherent"? What's more incoherent than trying strategy after strategy, only to... - (CRConrad) - (17)
                                                 You guys really need to drop the "privilege" meme. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (16)
                                                     Which part of White Supremacist Statue Hugger says anything about "privilege"?!? - (CRConrad) - (15)
                                                         Oh, now I'm a White Supremacist. - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                                                             "There were no good guys." - (drook) - (3)
                                                                 Buy a history book. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                     Care to narrow that down a bit? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                                         Re: Care to narrow that down a bit? - (mmoffitt)
                                                             You're a day late and a dollar short. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                                                 No mention of privilege? Re-read Drew's post. Here, I'll help you, since you obviously need it. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                                     "Read me in my posts", as someone used to say. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                         It's great to have you back. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                     Baltimore isn't constrained by the state laws about removing monuments. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                         Re: ... the other party controls the legislature via gerrymandering and voter suppression. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                             (One arrives at such a conclusion fairly: only after it marinates-well. I wot.) - (Ashton)
                                                                     Yes, Baltimore did it the next day. I wonder why ... -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                                                         I've withdrawn from being an advocate of violent revolution. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                             eh? yer off the flogging committee then, -NT - (boxley)
                                     Really? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         Sorry. Not enough words on my part. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                             No it's not - (crazy)
                                 local controls - (rcareaga)
                                 Impossible? Bah, nothing is impossible. - (CRConrad)
                                 Or, perhaps even better... - (CRConrad)
                 Try ... the 'Korean War' for a negative conclusion.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     that was a tie and still isnt over -NT - (boxley)
                 Actually, there are some - (scoenye) - (4)
                     And for something on the wrong side of the tracks and closer to current events - (scoenye) - (3)
                         Passing strange, this all.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                             The monument was "dual use" from the get go - (scoenye) - (1)
                                 Belatedly.. this manifestly-schizoid chain of events may illuminate just why - (Ashton)
                 yes in every town square altho to be fair it also includes all lives lost in all wars - (boxley)
                 Every town and village in the UK has a war memorial - (pwhysall) - (7)
                     Aussie ones are about remembering the fallen, too. -NT - (static)
                     We've got those, too - (drook)
                     The clear intent of the things here can be inferred from the timing. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         That Drum link: yes, that -NT - (drook) - (1)
                             Indeed, graph needs words; Drum has them. -NT - (Ashton)
                         curious, have you actually seen "birth of a nation"? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             Yup. Saw it in class in HS. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Don't know when that statue was erected, but the Robert E. Lee one in C'ville was 1924. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             And into the present one. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
         PS: Just NOW I hear [his audio] Prez. Orange declaim - (Ashton)

Kind of greenish blue, but not as greenish as, say, teal.
116 ms