1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You Are The Product
Review of three books.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n16/john-lanchester/you-are-the-product

In the third review about Facebook :

" I am scared of Facebook. The company’s ambition, its ruthlessness, and its lack of a moral compass scare me. It goes back to that moment of its creation, Zuckerberg at his keyboard after a few drinks creating a website to compare people’s appearance, not for any real reason other than that he was able to do it. That’s the crucial thing about Facebook, the main thing which isn’t understood about its motivation: it does things because it can."

[...]

Some good insights in these reviews. (In my opinion, of course.)
New "Facebook just doesn’t care." That's been my impression from the beginning.
I wonder how many of these "users" are really bots and corporations hoovering up everything they can about people.

I've been occasionally tempted by Twitter, but (almost) never by Facebook.

Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who wonders what will come after FB - MySpace was huge once too... :-/)
New Say it isn't so. A company started by a narcissistic sociopath doesn't care?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Follow up
"...hoovering up everything they can about people..."

Correct, Scott.

https://gizmodo.com/how-facebook-figures-out-everyone-youve-ever-met-1819822691

Everyone you have in your Contacts list, plus everyone who has you in their Contacts list.

Interesting article.
New Thanks. It couldn't be clearer that nobody should be on FB.
It reminds me that just about every smart phone app wants permission to look at my photos, address book, etc., etc. No doubt they're all doing similar things as Zuckerberg...

:-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yep. I've been thinking about the Nokia 3310 for just that reason.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
     You Are The Product - (dmcarls) - (5)
         "Facebook just doesn’t care." That's been my impression from the beginning. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Say it isn't so. A company started by a narcissistic sociopath doesn't care? -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Follow up - (dmcarls) - (2)
                 Thanks. It couldn't be clearer that nobody should be on FB. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Yep. I've been thinking about the Nokia 3310 for just that reason. -NT - (mmoffitt)

"The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."
- George W. Bush, Jr.
80 ms